The Student Room Group

do i stand a chance ?

Hi I am looking at changing my career to follow my true passions in life which is to work with cars. I would really really really love to study Mechanical Engineering (MEng) at Imperial because it is a world class institution to get the best possible training possible and is in a great area of London which is a bonus.

However, i am a little unsure whether i would get in or not as i'm 34. I currently have a well paid job in financial services as an actuary. I am an ex-Imperial graduate with Mathematics with Management (BSc) 2:1 (2005). I did A Levels Mathematics (A), Further Mathematics (A), Physics (A), Chemistry (A) in 2001. I have some relevant engineering work experience (5x 1 week work experience placements) when i was younger at school. I have had to take many professional examinations since leaving university. I would be prepared to revise / relearn A Level Mathematics, A Level Further Mathematics, A Level Physics which obviosuly i would need to be really sharp at..

Would i stand a chance getting into Imperial given i think they have very few (if any?) mature students ? I would like to start in September 2018.

Many Thanks

PS
Forgot to add i have contacted some other universities via email and have had positive responses welcoming me to apply or unconditional offers (although they need me to apply via UCAS) from
Newcastle (Mech Eng) - unconditional offer
Glasgow (Mech Eng) - unconditional offer
Leeds (Automotive Eng) - welcome me to apply
Brunel (Mech Eng) - unconditional offer / welcome me to apply
Oxford Brookes (Motorsport Eng) - welcome me to apply
Loughborough (Mech Eng) - welcome me to apply
What have Imperial said? Surely you have contacted and asked?
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
What have Imperial said? Surely you have contacted and asked?

Not asked them / contacted them yet as im bricking it / nervous / working up the courage.
Reply 3
Original post by 161BMW
Not asked them / contacted them yet as im bricking it / nervous / working up the courage.

All we can do s prefict a yes, no or maybe - no better than you already know. You don't even know whether the Masters is full or not, and the longer you delay, the more likely that is. Email now. Right now. Stop mithering!

Edit: Sorry, just saw the 2018 start date. Advice still stands though...
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Just to update I have been in contact with a few Mechanical Engineering (MEng) departments for
Glasgow
Newcastle
Southampton
Brunel
Oxford Brookes
Have received offers via email but to make it official I have to apply via UCAS as they only accept applications via UCAS.

I have also finally plucked up the courage to get into contact with Imperial College (which is where I really really want to go) and the undergraduate administrator admissions person told me to apply via UCAS for September 2018 entry. Also that applications are considered by an admissions panel and they only consider applications during that application cycle. Not because they cannot be bothered but because they are busy with other things like exam marking etc. I did reply saying I just wanted some feedback whether I would make a good applicant and would they consider me etc and being a former Imperial College graduate alumni in a different subject.

Tbh I just wanted some feedback whether based on the information I have provided (and obviously I am not 18 anymore) which was qualifications, relevant work experience references and some other information whether I would make a strong applicant. Obviously if they made an offer that would be like all my Birthdays at the same time. I done some digging and found out the admissions tutor but not sure I should contact them or not as not sure whether that is a good idea.

Also on the UCAS form I don't think there is enough info to include written relevant work experience references which obviously I have included in my email.

What should I do ?

Thanks very much

PS
Imperial College has 11:1 applicants to place ratio hence the nerves
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Anyone ??
You may as well send a (brief) email to the admissions tutor. I don't think it will do any harm. They may possibly still be marking exams though, so it might be better to leave it for another week or so.
Reply 7
Original post by Schadenfreude65
You may as well send a (brief) email to the admissions tutor. I don't think it will do any harm. They may possibly still be marking exams though, so it might be better to leave it for another week or so.

Imperial open day is 29th June and I was thinking about going. I rather avoid the shock of them all seeing an older guy applying for their course so ideally would like to touch base with the admissions tutor to let them know i am extremely keen to get in. And obviously I want to create a good impression. Should I send a polite email admissions tutor next week then ?
Original post by 161BMW
Imperial open day is 29th June and I was thinking about going. I rather avoid the shock of them all seeing an older guy applying for their course so ideally would like to touch base with the admissions tutor to let them know i am extremely keen to get in. And obviously I want to create a good impression. Should I send a polite email admissions tutor next week then ?

I don't see why not. I doubt they'll be terribly shocked though. You won't be the first or last mature student to apply.
DO IT! This is your dream and you've had an amazing response from other unis! Be happy and be a mechanical engineering graduate, mate! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending