username2100255
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I'm currently revising for my AS exam, and I'm not too sure what Parsons meant by:

"Parsons saw schooling as a bridge between the particularistic values and ascribed status of the family, and the universalistic values and achieved status of contemporary societies."

Help with understanding would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
whydididodthis
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Basically in a family, we are judged by particularistic values e.g treated differently because we are a certain gender, age etc and also have ascribed status - first born treated differently from second born etc.
In school this isn't the case, we are treated the same no matter how old we are (a person born in September will be treated the same way as someone born in July), no matter what class, ethnicity or gender (marxists/feminists/critical race theorists would disagree). This is a lot more reflective of how society works and how the workforce works e.g someone who is 50 will be treated same way as a 30 year old (universalistic standards) and we achieve status by being good at our job rather than being born into a position.
KOTFXOO
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello everyone hope all is well and everyone's working hard. I am currently doing an online chat video on sociology and charge £5 per hour this will include any help you may need with also resources such as revision booklets in which I can send pictures to you or post to you as well as revision guides. I have achieved a A* in my sociology exam and would like to now help others achieve a A* in sociology. If you are intrested or have any questions please let me know we can discuss this further!! Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (738)
33.92%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (929)
42.69%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (413)
18.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (96)
4.41%

Watched Threads