The Student Room Group

Naming organic compound .

Hi! I was just wondering how you can name a compound which have more than 1 functional group for example ; Alkene and carboxylic acid (CH3CH2CHCHCOOH) together or ketone and carboxylic acid together and other similar example . Also can someone if possible give me a link or worksheet with answer on this topic ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SonicSam
Hi! I was just wondering how you can name a compound which have more than 1 functional group for example ; Alkene and carboxylic acid (CH3CH2CHCHCOOH) together or ketone and carboxylic acid together and other similar example . Also can someone if possible give me a link or worksheet with answer on this topic ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A ketone with carboxylic acid is usually an ester. However the structural formula you've shown im not sure about but i searched online and it is pent-2-en-1-oic acid or you can say 2-pentanoic acid
Original post by Yoonmirae
A ketone with carboxylic acid is usually an ester.

You mean a Carboxylic acid and an Alcohol makes an ester.
Reply 3
Original post by SonicSam

Posted from TSR Mobile

IUPAC rules
some take priority over others

im pretty sure carboxylic acid - you name with a suffix so it's at the end and alkene as a prefix so it should be pent-2-en-1-oic acid because COOH>alkene priority

so just google "functional group priority list" and things like this will come up http://www.masterorganicchemistry.com/2011/02/14/table-of-functional-group-priorities-for-nomenclature/

or
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by RoyalSheepy

Or an acyl chloride with an alcohol
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
Or an acyl chloride with an alcohol

True, also another one but by nucleophilic substitution. But in an exam I think the answer on the mark scheme would be Carboxylic acid + Alcohol.
True, also another one but by nucleophilic substitution. But in an exam I think the answer on the mark scheme would be Carboxylic acid + Alcohol.

No, esters can be made by both- they have different advantages and disadvantages which my exam board- edexcel- likes to ask questions about e.g acyl chloride more efficient as reaction goes to completion etc
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
No, esters can be made by both- they have different advantages and disadvantages which my exam board- edexcel- likes to ask questions about e.g acyl chloride more efficient as reaction goes to completion etc

Oh, well different exam boards lol; WJEC only accept Carboxylic acid + Alcohol = Ester.

yeah
Reply 9
Oh, well different exam boards lol; WJEC only accept Carboxylic acid + Alcohol = Ester.

In practice an acyl chloride will work much better, especially if you can precipitate out the chloride salt to drive the reaction.

I would be a bit surprised if they didn't give you the mark for an acyl chloride, but at the end of the day writing down what the mark scheme says is more important than being right when it comes to getting through exams.
Original post by alow
In practice an acyl chloride will work much better, especially if you can precipitate out the chloride salt to drive the reaction.

I would be a bit surprised if they didn't give you the mark for an acyl chloride, but at the end of the day writing down what the mark scheme says is more important than being right when it comes to getting through exams.

Yup, that's the WJEC for you. :dry:
Reply 11
So if one group take priority over the other , do we ignore the group that's not prioritised ? I'm sure that can't be right, as we have to include it somewhere . Imagine 6 carbon chain body with ketone at 3rd carbon and carboxylic group at 1st ( obv) . What do we call this molecule ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest