Opinions on possible burka ban?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
sfarihaman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Just curious, but I am so conflicted over this and don't really have an opinion. Help
Whiskey&Freedom
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ban the burka. It is just not British, offends us and is a security risk.
willa17
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Whiskey&Freedom)
I'm sure 'British' Values involve individual liberty and freedom to dress how you want and express yourself (provided it is not harmful) and banning the burka is certainly not British then.

If there are already restrictions on the places you can wear it (banks, court etc) I don't really see the problem.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 years ago
I can see that there are certain situations that do not mix well with any sort of face coverings. Places where there are security concerns want faces to be visible for safety, there are religious areas where it may be an issue, there are a fair few members of the public who feel uncomfortable not being able to see somebody's face- especially with the terrorism scare going on at the moment.

BUT, I also think it is important to respect people's religious beliefs and privacy. I also don't think a burka ban has any real potential to help. I think the burka ban is a step in the direction of segregation and will only serve to make one group feel isolated and another feel more scared. I don't see that banning people from wearing face coverings is going to help things. I can see a case for it in airports etc, but frankly having security points where they remove it in private should be enough. I can't see how there is any need for it in the general public. People can do bad things whether their face is covered or not. Banning burkas or any other face covering is not going to reduce violent crimes or terrorism. Building better relationships between cultures might though. And frankly it's a waste of resources anyway.

Burkas are not the problem. It's bad people and fear. A burka ban will just feed feed the fear without sorting out the bad people.
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Whiskey&Freedom)
-highlights what this is about, xenophobia and Islamaphobia.
-glad to see you are the authority on what offends all British people. Also I thought that being offended about things was all just PC gone max, or does that only apply when you don't agree?
-No more a security risk than any other means of covering one's face.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Security risk. If I go into a shop, I have to remove my hat.
chazwomaq
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My liberal tendencies instinctively say that we should not be interfering with the way people dress any more than absolutely necessary.

Yes, there are many areas where you face should be seen - most jobs, security issues etc. But not everyday life.

But then, there is a strong counter-argument. The burka cuts people off from society. Those women walking along in your neighbourhood - do you know them or not? Without being able to recognise them in the street, park, or shops, you miss out on that eye contact, that nod of recognition, or the brief stop and chat that you might have with neighbours and acquaintances. And that is bad.

OK, but so what? Perhaps people want to be cut off from society. But, what if some (many?) of these women are forced/encouraged/socialized to wear it? They are then hidden from society, probably by the men in their families, and may enjoy less freedom as a result. So there is an argument to say that by restricting this one aspect of freedom, you may actually be increasing overall freedom for the women. It all depends on how voluntary the wearing of the burka is, and that is very hard to know.
Rooster11366
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For me it a yes to the ban it
Jirga
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Private properties should have the right to not allow it on their premises. It should not be banned in public.
Rooster11366
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No I disagree with you on that. The ban should be total private and public.
Zargabaath
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Shouldn't be banned in public, however you should be able to ban whatever you want on your private property
SMEGGGY
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
Yes, the amount of burka women who've committed robberies etc :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rooster11366
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I disagree with that about in public. Burka is culture reasons and control of a woman.

So for that reason I say no ban it.
username3110466
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
um no you don't?
Rooster11366
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by theoneandonlybob)
um no you don't?
You are right you do not. But they can and will ask you to leave.

You can do nothing about that
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by theoneandonlybob)
um no you don't?
No. That's why I've seen signs saying I need to remove my hat, bike helmet, etc.
yesmynameis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Banning the burqa is an assault on the most basic human right of women having control over their own bodies and minds. I believe that the burqa is not the problem but a symptom of a larger problem of women feeling oppressed by men and pressured to conform to the objectification of women’s bodies in Western societies.
Legislating against and criminalizing the burqa is not, as many critics argue, going to achieve gender parity in Western societies. Rather, banning the burqa is going to bully Muslim women into abandoning their cultural traditions, religious obligations, and political expressions.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by svsvsv)
Just curious, but I am so conflicted over this and don't really have an opinion. Help
You do realise theres one of these threads most weeks. Use the search engine and you can see hundreds of replies.
Betelgeuse-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by yesmynameis)
Banning the burqa is an assault on the most basic human right of women having control over their own bodies and minds. I believe that the burqa is not the problem but a symptom of a larger problem of women feeling oppressed by men and pressured to conform to the objectification of women’s bodies in Western societies.
Legislating against and criminalizing the burqa is not, as many critics argue, going to achieve gender parity in Western societies. Rather, banning the burqa is going to bully Muslim women into abandoning their cultural traditions, religious obligations, and political expressions.
Types the bolded, 2 sentences later admits the Burger is a cultural, religious, political symbol lol

Also doesnt ask why the Burger is rife in non western countries if its the nasty mean Learing objectifying western men making women "Want" to wear the Burger
yesmynameis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
may I ask what a 'Burger' is? I thought it was those nasty cheap meat filled bun things? Please correct me if I am mistaken

(Original post by Betelgeuse-)
Types the bolded, 2 sentences later admits the Burger is a cultural, religious, political symbol lol

Also doesnt ask why the Burger is rife in non western countries if its the nasty mean Learing objectifying western men making women "Want" to wear the Burger
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads