The Student Room Group

Open Days Cambridge 6th of July 2017!!!!

Who is going to open days this year? :u:
I am so excited. :u:
I hope to have time to see Jesus and Wolfson College. :u:
Which college you want to visit? :u:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by David98minion

Are you a mature applicant?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Are you a mature applicant?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will be 19 soon. But I want to apply for a gap year. So that means 21 when I start uni. :u:
Reply 3
I will be 19 soon. But I want to apply for a gap year. So that means 21 when I start uni. :u:

Fair enough then :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who is going to open days this year? :u:
I am so excited. :u:

I AM!!!:tongue: I want to see St Catz!!!:biggrin: What subject do you want to study?x:h:
Original post by sunshine774
I AM!!!:tongue: I want to see St Catz!!!:biggrin: What subject do you want to study?x:h:

Heya :u:
I was thinking to apply to Catz but I changed my mind. :u:
I want to apply for Geography. :u:
How about you? :u:
Heya :u:
I was thinking to apply to Catz but I changed my mind. :u:
I want to apply for Geography. :u:
How about you? :u:

Economics!:biggrin: Geography sounds interesting!:smile: Do you know if the booking has opened yet?:smile:
Original post by sunshine774
Economics!:biggrin: Geography sounds interesting!:smile: Do you know if the booking has opened yet?:smile:

Yes I know. :u:
They've opened last week. :u:

I will give you the link right here : https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/university-of-cambridge-open-days-2017-registration-33575745960 :u:

The booking is free but you should book as soon as possible. (preferably now or tomorrow) :u:
I went to an open day last year. I was never asked to show my ticket at all during my entire time there. I think they do it just to get a rough estimate of people attending and to keep a controlled population. Enjoy yourselves.
I am tempted, just to see how beautiful it looks again. Last went when I was 15. :love:
Original post by Student1914
I went to an open day last year. I was never asked to show my ticket at all during my entire time there. I think they do it just to get a rough estimate of people attending and to keep a controlled population. Enjoy yourselves.

I am excited but in the same time very scared. There will be intelligent people and I don't want to ask dump question, and to feel very inferior. :u: :colondollar:
I am excited but in the same time very scared. There will be intelligent people and I don't want to ask dump question, and to feel very inferior. :u: :colondollar:

I think every other prospective student is going to feel that way. So you're not alone.

I was going to check out Wolfson, but I couldn't be bothered because it was sort of far out and it was a long day. But fortunately, I got accepted on the shadowing scheme and got to experience Cambridge during term time, whilst staying in my accommodation at Wolfson college.
Cambridge is a trap, stay clear.

Don't be! There's no such thing as a stupid question, and staff and students will answer anything you want to know!
Hope to apply to Clare, so I might visit! Depends on the timing and my internal exam schedule. Plus I get to stay at the college for two weeks and hopefully get a feel of it. :smile:

Does anyone know whether private tours are possible, should I not be able to come for the open day?
Reply 15
Original post by Mac117
Does anyone know whether private tours are possible, should I not be able to come for the open day?

Usually yes, if you contact the college admissions team in advance. But that would be of the college, not necessarily the department.
Usually yes, if you contact the college admissions team in advance. But that would be of the college, not necessarily the department.

So there is no point in me doing so if I stay at the college anyway then? I thought I'd get a chance to maybe talk to a DoS...
Reply 17
Original post by Mac117
So there is no point in me doing so if I stay at the college anyway then? I thought I'd get a chance to maybe talk to a DoS...

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you asking if you can get a private tour while you are there for 2 weeks? Why are you there?

I don't think it's standard practice to meet a DoS privately - it could be seen to compromise their admissions decision-making. And to be clear the DoS is a Fellow of your college, not the department.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm not sure what you mean. Are you asking if you can get a private tour while you are there for 2 weeks? Why are you there?

I don't think it's standard practice to meet a DoS privately - it could be seen to compromise their admissions decision-making. And to be clear the DoS is a Fellow of your college, not the department.

Sorry, let me add some clarity to what I said!

I'm staying at Clare college for two weeks, as I am doing a medical school preparation course there. Since there's a chance I won't go to the open day, I thought I'd be able to get a private tour of the department or talk to the associate staff. Since you said it's mostly a college tour I guess there is little point in me doing so... Unless certain aspects are restricted to the visitors during their stay, that is...
Reply 19
Original post by Mac117
Sorry, let me add some clarity to what I said!

I'm staying at Clare college for two weeks, as I am doing a medical school preparation course there. Since there's a chance I won't go to the open day, I thought I'd be able to get a private tour of the department or talk to the associate staff. Since you said it's mostly a college tour I guess there is little point in me doing so... Unless certain aspects are restricted to the visitors during their stay, that is...

We're still getting confused... the Open Day is for the entire university including departments and colleges (and their accommodation). A term-time "private" tour of the college would just be the college, and probably wouldn't include accommodation (because students are occupying their rooms).

If you are doing a med school course doesn't that include a look around the department? Oh hold on, is this an Oxford Royale summer school thing? In which it has absolutely no formal connection at all with the department or the college.

Quick Reply

Latest