The Student Room Group

Impulse

The question is: At time t seconds, a variable force F N is given by

F=i-6t^2j+2tk. Find the impulse "IN" if the force acts between times t=1 and t=3.

I have got integral of |F| the magnitude of F at time t with respect to dt. Is this how its supposed to be? since i wasn't expecting such hard integral for this question...
Original post by Merdan

F=i-6t^2j+2tk. Find the impulse "IN" if the force acts between times t=1 and t=3.

I have got integral of |F| the magnitude of F at time t with respect to dt. Is this how its supposed to be? since i wasn't expecting such hard integral for this question...

You can integrate components individually between t=1t=1 and t=3t=3 which should give you an impulse vector, then take the magnitude of that.
Original post by Merdan

You need the method RDKGames suggested.

Your method would not produce the desired result. E.g. Suppose we have 1 second of F=i, then one second of F= -i. Impulse would be zero, but by your method it would be 2.

Quick Reply

Latest