V1193 - Terrorism Act 2000 (Amendment) Bill 2017 Watch

Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many of the opinion, Aye (11)
22.92%
On the contrary, No (19)
39.58%
Abstain (18)
37.5%
This discussion is closed.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Terrorism Act 2000 (amendment) Bill 2017, Libertarian Party (Seconded by Conceited MP)

A
BILL TO
Name Antifa as a terrorist organisation

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1- Designation

(1) Add to schedule 2 of the terrorism act 2000:
(A) Antifa (Antifaschistische Aktion)

2- Citation and commencement
(1) This Act extends to the United Kingdom.

(2) The provisions of this Act come into force on Royal Assent

(3) This Act may be referred to as the Terrorism act 2000 (amendment) Act 2017

Notes:

This Bill legislates to designate AntiFa (Antifaschistische Aktion) a terrorist group as per the Terrorism Act of 2000.

AntiFa are a group stemming from the Communist Party of Germany in the 1930s; they had an, admittedly, noble goal of combating the scourge of nazism but were dissolved when Hitler consolidated his dictatorship.

The group was 'revived' in the 1980s and continues into the present day, albeit in a form that has twisted and diverged from its original purpose.

AntiFa now operates in various countries and is composed of various gangs of anarchist thugs known as "black blocks", who aim to cause civil unrest and use violence to intimidate and derail any person or group that they perceive to have moderately right of centre political views.

An example of the group's terroristic capabilities was made clear on 1st February 2017, when controversial conservative personality Milo Yiannopoulous was due to make a speech at the University of Berkeley, California; this speech was interrupted as AntiFa burned private property, bricked windows and assaulted journalists and conservative students that wanted to attend to the event.

We appreciate that Mr Yiannopoulous is a controversial figure who the house may not agree with, but we believe that everyone deserves the right to express their views and to have a platform to do so, and that that is a key part of living in a civilised western democracy.

We now call on the house to back this bill to add AntiFa to the terrorism act, to help prevent any further chaos or violence, should it happen in the UK.
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You don't need a bill for this, experts.

I chose aye because I agree with the sentiment.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
You don't need a bill for this, experts.

I chose aye because I agree with the sentiment.
Exactly how absolute :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: passes
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Exactly how absolute :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: passes
This won't pass anyway…
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
This won't pass anyway…
Hardly the point, especially if we all took this attitude
Birchington
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I agree with LP - agree with the sentiment despite the bill being unnecessary.

Some of the violent opposition to speakers like Milo is profoundly shocking and causes huge damage to the exercising of free speech & open debate.
United1892
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Birchington)
I agree with LP - agree with the sentiment despite the bill being unnecessary.

Some of the violent opposition to speakers like Milo is profoundly shocking and causes huge damage to the exercising of free speech & open debate.
Causes much less damage than people like Milo's politics.
United1892
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Antifa is not an organised group it's more a banner for anybody who is left wing and against fascism, this would class tonnes of people who don't commit violence as terrorists.

Also note the Liberals and Libertarians supporting a bill which is clearly meant to shut down the political left.
Birchington
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by United1892)
Also note the Liberals and Libertarians supporting a bill which is clearly meant to shut down the political left.
I disagree. The political left have every right to participate in free and democratic debate - just don't behave like undemocratic bullies and shut down debates you don't like. I don't agree with Milo but I will absolutely defend his right to free speech.
username2585877
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay.

Plus, antifa isn’t an organised group, effectively allowing the government to designate anyone as a member of antifa.

anti-antifa
hmm lets cancel that out
fa
Oh wait
United1892
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I disagree. The political left have every right to participate in free and democratic debate - just don't behave like undemocratic bullies and shut down debates you don't like. I don't agree with Milo but I will absolutely defend his right to free speech.
Shutting down people who actively encourage hate based on race is less harmful than letting them speak.

In anycase Antifa still get nicked if they shut down a debate by violence this just makes a large amount of people who fall under a banner which just means against fascism terrorists even if they don't commit violence.
Birchington
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Shutting down people who actively encourage hate based on race is less harmful than letting them speak.

In anycase Antifa still get nicked if they shut down a debate by violence this just makes a large amount of people who fall under a banner which just means against fascism terrorists even if they don't commit violence.
I would have more respect for those opposed to Milo if they challenged his "hate speech" through mature and reasoned debate, rather than throwing tantrum after tantrum.
United1892
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would have more respect for those opposed to Milo if they challenged his "hate speech" through mature and reasoned debate, rather than throwing tantrum after tantrum.
Fascists don't deserve debate (and don't do it back just call people snowflakes and lefty scum) they deserve hanging from trees.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Fascists don't deserve debate (and don't do it back just call people snowflakes and lefty scum) they deserve hanging from trees.
Ah, the classic "people I disagree with are fascists" despite, funnily enough, him not being a fascist. It's also worth noting that you are part of the rise of the far right, calling people fascists instead of challenging their ideas does not stop them being "fascists", if anything it contributes to growth because you just become a part of the sneering establishment that ignores and abuses the proles.

Posted from TSR Mobile
United1892
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Ah, the classic "people I disagree with are fascists" despite, funnily enough, him not being a fascist. It's also worth noting that you are part of the rise of the far right, calling people fascists instead of challenging their ideas does not stop them being "fascists", if anything it contributes to growth because you just become a part of the sneering establishment that ignores and abuses the proles.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Talking to the far-right by the apparently sensible people has allowed their immigration rhetoric to be swallowed by the public. The establishment says fascists have legitimate concerns then brands anyone to the left of the status quo a loon because they find fascism less dangerous to them than any real attempt at equality.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Talking to the far-right by the apparently sensible people has allowed their immigration rhetoric to be swallowed by the public. The establishment says fascists have legitimate concerns then brands anyone to the left of the status quo a loon because they find fascism less dangerous to them than any real attempt at equality.
I'm sorry, what, you're making little sense, and are still refusing to explain how all these so called fascists are fascists, you also seem to be suggesting that the notion of controlled immigration is a fundamentally bad one and it is abominable that people could hold that view or that such ideas should be implemented, going so far, perhaps, to declare it fascism. Once again, you're hardly making me want to conform to your world view, you atent telling me why yours is good or mine is bad, you're simply declaring me barely human and expecting me to follow you, even though it's having the complete opposite effect; to me the fact you're shouting fascist instead of explaining why theyre wrong is simply saying you have no defence and are hoping you can make them feel bad without justification for why they should. Congratulations, you're going to keep losing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Basiil17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
PetrosAC, changed my mind, please could I change my Aye to an abstain
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by DreamlinerFinder)
PetrosAC, changed my mind, please could I change my Aye to an abstain
One vote has been changed from an Aye to an Abstain
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Ayes to the Right: 11
Noes to the Left: 19
Abstentions: 18
The Noes have it! The Noes have it! Unlock!
Turnout: 96%
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (42)
32.06%
No (68)
51.91%
Don't know (21)
16.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise