Opinions on A-Level Law, Geography & Physics Watch

Haider_A
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Any experiences with the any of the three listed A-Levels?

Curious to know, as they are the A-Levels I have picked for September, but I can still change them...
Anonymous061299
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Haider_A)
Any experiences with the any of the three listed A-Levels?

Curious to know, as they are the A-Levels I have picked for September, but I can still change them...
I do Geography and can tell you physical is pretty much the same as GCSE but human is a completely different ball game. Hopefully there will be more materials released by the time you take your exam but the new spec for it is a slight nightmare and a bit all over. It is interesting (if you have a good teacher) and isn't too much of a step up as long as you revise the content early and make notes as you go along. Hope this helps feel free to ask me questions (i'm in first year btw) :-)
spidle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Physics has a lot of maths in it, especially mechanical maths.
Haider_A
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous061299)
I do Geography and can tell you physical is pretty much the same as GCSE but human is a completely different ball game. Hopefully there will be more materials released by the time you take your exam but the new spec for it is a slight nightmare and a bit all over. It is interesting (if you have a good teacher) and isn't too much of a step up as long as you revise the content early and make notes as you go along. Hope this helps feel free to ask me questions (i'm in first year btw) :-)
I really enjoy Geography and at the moment, I have 379 UMS points for the whole course (350 is an A*) so it's something that I really want to pursue. I've heard that there's a fair few practicals involved, is this true? Not that I don't like practicals...
Haider_A
Rep:
?
(Original post by spidle)
Physics has a lot of maths in it, especially mechanical maths.
Would you say the Maths is difficult to do?
Vav Sartrean Po
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Would you say the Maths is difficult to do?
At our school, it is compulsory to at least take AS maths with physics, as well as having additional physics lessons solely based on the maths (so I think it's really hard)
katierebekah
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm almost at the end of my first year of AS law, it is a very rewarding subject when the work is put in.
I take the AQA paper, so for me the content I find is fairly detailed, however it is very interesting and you can gain a quite detailed insight into the English legal system and actually apply the content you learn to real life, which you can't really tend to do at GCSE or with other certain subjects.
The exam questions in the firs paper are (for AQA) 9 x 10 mark questions, each in an essay style and you get 90 minutes, so 10 minutes a question.
I find some questions considerably easier than others.
One thing is that there is a lot of case detail to remember, and legal points (don't confuse that with what the case is actually about, the legal point is more what the case established as a result).
Mostly, if you don't have cases in a question you cannot get higher than like a grade D which is like 5/10 (within the grade boundaries my teacher sets anyhow).
I have covered topics including; civil law(negligence), non-fatal offences (assault etc), concepts of liability, statutory interpretation, criminal courts and offences (basics sort of), and delegated legislation.
Any questions you have just ask, I'd love to answer.
Any questions on A-levels including maths, economics and history as well, I can answer questions on as I also take them.
thefreakoffreaks
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I studied Law and I freaking loved it. My favourite subject by far.
black1blade
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
At AS you need to do no more above basic rearranging of equations, proportionality, trig and a bit of graph interpretation in physics. At a-level you'll probably have to be a taught a bit of basic maths stuff that would be covered in as maths and it would probably be quite difficult to do the maths questions if aren't firmed up on maths as the equations get pretty complex. I'm a year 12 student btw so only based on flipping thru a-level section of my "physics bible" that my teacher gave us that has all the specification points including the equations. I would strongly recommend chemistry or biology over physics if you just wanted a single science with no maths. Physics is probably the easiest of the sciences if you don't do maths and there are people who do physics with no maths but they tend to be the less well performing students in my experience.
Haider_A
Rep:
?
(Original post by black1blade)
At AS you need to do no more above basic rearranging of equations, proportionality, trig and a bit of graph interpretation in physics. At a-level you'll probably have to be a taught a bit of basic maths stuff that would be covered in as maths and it would probably be quite difficult to do the maths questions if aren't firmed up on maths as the equations get pretty complex. I'm a year 12 student btw so only based on flipping thru a-level section of my "physics bible" that my teacher gave us that has all the specification points including the equations. I would strongly recommend chemistry or biology over physics if you just wanted a single science with no maths. Physics is probably the easiest of the sciences if you don't do maths and there are people who do physics with no maths but they tend to be the less well performing students in my experience.
To be honest, I want a good subject that will compliment my future career to become a commercial pilot. Geography is quite useful for that, but Law is something that I've been interested in and I thought Physics would go nicely, but I don't know if I'd enjoy it... what other subject would you recommend?
black1blade
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
To be honest, I want a good subject that will compliment my future career to become a commercial pilot. Geography is quite useful for that, but Law is something that I've been interested in and I thought Physics would go nicely, but I don't know if I'd enjoy it... what other subject would you recommend?
It probably actually makes no difference as plane flying is hardly an academic pursuit (well you obviously have to train and be really good but yeah). Just do the subjects you like for now.
Anonymous061299
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I really enjoy Geography and at the moment, I have 379 UMS points for the whole course (350 is an A*) so it's something that I really want to pursue. I've heard that there's a fair few practicals involved, is this true? Not that I don't like practicals...
If your teacher choses something interesting then its not so bad we had a good laugh on our trip but some of the recordings were boring like we sat and watched water be absorbed by the ground for infiltration so I can say it wasn't the most interesting thing ever. There are 2/3 days of compulsory field work I think but you should pursue it if you feel it is strong and you enjoy it then definitely take it to A level
ihatePE
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i only do geography out of your choices and it's so so so SO boring imo, i found it boring towards the end of year 11 so didnt help i chose it again.
i actually like physical geo though because it's like right or wrong kind of thing. human geography is just a lot of BS. especially with the new spec. according to my teacher, all exam boards have to follow a similar path. so for human geo it's learning about industries and rebranding/regeneration, theyre all so similar and it's weird how they even have to differentiate it.

the field work can be the most pleasant trip or the most horrible depending on your task and weather. i went on the beach on a lovely day, then went to a regenerated city on a rainy day, the field work lady made us walk in the rain to find some data. considering it's human geo and u need people for it, and it's pouring it down, the whole area was deserted. so that was the worst trip ever.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (292)
65.62%
No (153)
34.38%

Watched Threads