The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F211/F212/F214/F215 Thread (OLD SPEC)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SS!123
did they put down curled leaves? was that one we had to write an explanation for? I thought it said waxy cuticle :frown:

I think it had both curled leaves and waxy cuticle. I think curled leaves was first row and had a reason, second bit was waxy cuticle and we had to put a reason down, third was the air movement one and we had to put an adaptation down and fourth was something to do with mesophyll
Reply 41
Original post by anonest
I think it had both curled leaves and waxy cuticle. I think curled leaves was first row and had a reason, second bit was waxy cuticle and we had to put a reason down, third was the air movement one and we had to put an adaptation down and fourth was something to do with mesophyll

ah in that case i think your answer of hair was right!

Did you manage to get an answer for the last part of question 2, where it was asking for an 'error' and an explanation as to why that was an error? (sorry for all the questions!)
I think the error was that the statement said that needle shaped leaves reduce the surface area to volume ratio. However the table showed that the surface area to volume ratio increased from 2 to 4
Original post by SS!123
ah in that case i think your answer of hair was right!

Did you manage to get an answer for the last part of question 2, where it was asking for an 'error' and an explanation as to why that was an error? (sorry for all the questions!)

It's ok, I don't mind the questions :smile: yh I think I wrote what H3nners said
Reply 44
Original post by anonest
I thought about writing sunken pits but didn't think about how that would affect air movement. Also they put down curled leaves as rolled leaves or something in the first row so I couldn't put that down. But yh I guess they are potentially right, not too sure about sunken pits though

yess i put sunken pits too, didn't really know what they were looking for here- this was a weird paper
I think hairs is right as I checked the text book and it says hairs on the lower surface reduce movement of air.
Original post by SS!123
I got 37,000 too I think

Do you remember what you got for the xerophyte table?

I got 37000! I kind of blanked out about middle blank spit about the surface of the leaf so I said that stomata are not on the surface of the leaf but underneath.Since it talked about hairs in the previous bix
(edited 6 years ago)
This paper was by far the best paper ive seen in a long time.. in my opinion the picture of the bronchi put me off I didnt even know what I was looking at.Luckily I noticed,cartilage and goblet cells but I didnt answer T.
I wrote bronchioles, the text book says the catilage is present in upper region of the. Bronchioles and surrounding looked a bit like alveoli (at the bottom right of the picture). 😟
Reply 49
I know it's very difficult to tell, but any guesses on ums cut offs? As there is probably a smaller pool of people taking this exam this war could it possibly go up/down?
Original post by Juvia L
I got 37000! I kind of blanked out about middle blank spit about the surface of the leaf so I said that stomata are not on the surface of the leaf but underneath.Since it talked about hairs in the previous bix

Lol I'm getting worried now, I got x36500. What did u guys get as ur measurement for the line 73mm or 74mm?
What did you all write for the definition of partially permeable membrane, I wrote that is a barrier that surrounds every cell and allow some type of molecules to pass through but not the other molecules. I don't know if my answer worth 2 marks, what do you think?
Original post by tigermoth890
Lol I'm getting worried now, I got x36500. What did u guys get as ur measurement for the line 73mm or 74mm?

I've got 75mm but I'm sure the right length was 74mm
Original post by Juvia L
This paper was by far the best paper ive seen in a long time.. in my opinion the picture of the bronchi put me off I didnt even know what I was looking at.Luckily I noticed,cartilage and goblet cells but I didnt answer T.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the same thing. The image was not good, it was a mess
Original post by anonest
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the same thing. The image was not good, it was a mess

Hey what did you write for the definition of partially permeable membrane
Original post by tigermoth890

I got 74 mm, but I'm sure they would accept ranges
Original post by Beckysimp
Hey what did you write for the definition of partially permeable membrane

Allows some substances to diffuse across the membrane and doesn't allow some, I feel like I probably got a mark but I couldn't think of anything else to write
Original post by anonest
Allows some substances to diffuse across the membrane and doesn't allow some, I feel like I probably got a mark but I couldn't think of anything else to write

Also for how bacteria stick on to surfaces of gut I wrote that glycoproteins on cilia are involved in adhesion with the gut wall. And also secrete sticky substances using vesicles, I don't if this is actually right, bit of a weird question
Also for how bacteria stick on to surfaces of gut I wrote that glycoproteins on cilia are involved in adhesion with the gut wall. And also secrete sticky substances using vesicles, I don't if this is actually right, bit of a weird question

It sounds right, but yh it was a really weird question

Yea was a very open question. I wrote the same as you tho. More glycoproteins for cell adhesion and maybe secrets proteins which allow it to stick.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending