girl333
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm in conflict over which courses/unis to apply for to do creative writing. On the one hand, all the top ranked unis for cw offer it only with english literature, and I accept that eng lit is necessary and wise to combine it with for employment etc. But on the other hand, I'm not too good at eng lit and I really don't enjoy it at all in comparison to the creative stuff, so I don't feel good about applying to study something I don't enjoy/am not good at for three years.

Should I apply to the worse uni's to just do creative writing or will that not be regarded well at all? Should I just stick out the stuff I don't like, is there a way to avoid it through modules etc.? I'm not sure. Thanks for any help!
Herts PG Student Repsdafaf
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey Girl333,

It all depends on what your aims are and if you think you'll enjoy the course.

I'm currently doing an MA in Creative Writing at Hertfordshire. I originally was going to apply to do a History MA at either Southampton or Herts.
I decided to go for the CW MA because I researched the modules individually, met the tutors and decided I liked what was being offered. I wanted to do something I'd enjoy more rather than something good for employability. It's actually worked out really for me so far too!

If you feel that English Lit may be a bad choice for you, it might be worth considering going to a different University that offers exactly what you want. On the other hand, it could be good to challenge yourself and you may find at University level you enjoy it more!

Hope this helps and all the best with your choices!

David
girl333
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by David Trebus)
Hey Girl333,

It all depends on what your aims are and if you think you'll enjoy the course.

I'm currently doing an MA in Creative Writing at Hertfordshire. I originally was going to apply to do a History MA at either Southampton or Herts.
I decided to go for the CW MA because I researched the modules individually, met the tutors and decided I liked what was being offered. I wanted to do something I'd enjoy more rather than something good for employability. It's actually worked out really for me so far too!

If you feel that English Lit may be a bad choice for you, it might be worth considering going to a different University that offers exactly what you want. On the other hand, it could be good to challenge yourself and you may find at University level you enjoy it more!

Hope this helps and all the best with your choices!

David
Hi David, thank you for your reply!

This actually really helped me in terms of what I feel like I 'should' or 'should not' do. I've decided (not definite yet but hopeful) to try and do a Creative Writing and Publishing degree instead. I really felt like English literature wasn't for me, but wanted to broaden the degree at the same time, so I looked into publishing courses and really liked the versatility of skills it would give me, and that I would definitely enjoy it more too

Thanks again for your reply and advice, it was much appreciated!
Herts PG Student Repsdafaf
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey girl333!

No problems and I'm really glad I could help.

Publishing sounds like a great compliment to Creative Writing and they should really compliment eachother.

I wish you all the best in your studies!

David
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (201)
43.7%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (51)
11.09%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.61%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (98)
21.3%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (48)
10.43%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.87%

Watched Threads