The Student Room Group

getting into medicine with BTEC???

hello! So I'm doing BTEC Heath and social care extended subsidiary diploma level 3 and aiming for distinctions.
Do you think that this qualification could be accepted by Medical Unis? I checked a couple of uni's that accepted BTEC's. So do you think I would get into uni with BTEC's. Also, alongside with lots of volunteering and experience

Scroll to see replies

Entry requirements are usually AAA/A*AA
Reply 2
Original post by okkon
hello! So I'm doing BTEC Heath and social care extended subsidiary diploma level 3 and aiming for distinctions.
Do you think that this qualification could be accepted by Medical Unis? I checked a couple of uni's that accepted BTEC's. So do you think I would get into uni with BTEC's. Also, alongside with lots of volunteering and experience

Nearly all universities require A-Level Biology and Chemistry. What universities did you look at?
I do that course I believe the universities will say it hasn't got nearly enough science content needed
Reply 4
Original post by S2M
Nearly all universities require A-Level Biology and Chemistry. What universities did you look at?

University of East Anglia is one of them
Original post by okkon

I'm afraid no unis will accept your qualification for Medicine, you would have to complete 3 A-Levels. You could do a degree in a different subject related to Medicine and then apply for Medicine as a graduate, but it is arguably more difficult and expensive.
You could apply for a 6 year Medicine degree with foundation year but you still couldn't with a BTEC.
Medicine with foundation year is designed for A-Level students who had not taken the A-Levels that are usually required for Medicine. If you have any more questions please DM me as I can provide some relevant information as I've been through the Medicine application process :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by okkon
University of East Anglia is one of them

I don't think that they do?
Original post by okkon

Ignore my first post, you COULD apply to some selected universities doing Medicine with a foundation year. This is news to me!
Original post by S2M
I don't think that they do?

I didn't either, but they do. BTEC requirements DDM.
https://www2.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degree?course-slug=mbbs-medicine-with-a-foundation-year
Reply 9

Did 60% or less of your secondary school achieve 5A*-C? You have to meet this requirement and one of the three other ones that they have listed below. In addition, you still have to meet their minimum GCSE requirements 6 or more B's.
Original post by S2M
Did 60% or less of your secondary school achieve 5A*-C? You have to meet this requirement and one of the three other ones that they have listed below. In addition, you still have to meet their minimum GCSE requirements 6 or more B's.

Don't tell me that, tell OP.
Reply 11
Original post by slowdive
I'm afraid no unis will accept your qualification for Medicine, you would have to complete 3 A-Levels. You could do a degree in a different subject related to Medicine and then apply for Medicine as a graduate, but it is arguably more difficult and expensive.
You could apply for a 6 year Medicine degree with foundation year but you still couldn't with a BTEC.
Medicine with foundation year is designed for A-Level students who had not taken the A-Levels that are usually required for Medicine. If you have any more questions please DM me as I can provide some relevant information as I've been through the Medicine application process :smile:

Thanks for your advice that was very helpful :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by S2M

Yes actually only 50% of the students got 5 A*-C grades and yes I do have 6 GCSE's but they're not all at grade B so that is a downside...
Reply 13
Original post by slowdive
Don't tell me that, tell OP.

Whoopsy. I thought you were OP.
Reply 14
Original post by okkon
Yes actually only 50% of the students got 5 A*-C grades and yes I do have 6 GCSE's but they're not all at grade B so that is a downside...

I think you have to meet that minimum requirement and 1 of the 3 choices that they listed.
Original post by okkon

Does that mean you don't meet their minimum requirements? If so that's more than just a 'downside'. Foundation programs have more applicants per place than normal programs. They aren't just going to overlook you missing their mandatory requirements.

Additionally, do you meet any of their other mandatory criteria:

AS WELL AS THE CRITERIA ABOVE, ALL APPLICANTS MUST ALSO MEET ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:

2. Your household income is less than £35,000 per year excluding Government benefits.
3. You have been in Local Authority Care.
4. You live in the East Anglia region - i.e. Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Lincolnshire, Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire.

?

I am aware of some med schools which accept BTEC applied science as entry to foundation programs (but not BTEC social care), and some that will accept a BTEC in place of the third a-level (i.e. you already have bio and chem a-levels). I do not know of any uni that routinely accepts just a BTEC, even for the foundation programs, but I do not know all of the requirements so do your research (and do it a lot better than the above!).
Reply 16
Original post by nexttime
Does that mean you don't meet their minimum requirements? If so that's more than just a 'downside'. Foundation programs have more applicants per place than normal programs. They aren't just going to overlook you missing their mandatory requirements.

Additionally, do you meet any of their other mandatory criteria:

?

I am aware of some med schools which accept BTEC applied science as entry to foundation programs (but not BTEC social care), and some that will accept a BTEC in place of the third a-level (i.e. you already have bio and chem a-levels). I do not know of any uni that routinely accepts just a BTEC, even for the foundation programs, but I do not know all of the requirements so do your research (and do it a lot better than the above!).

I'm thinking about taking a gap year before applying to med. I've got 5 GCSE's that are B and above its just one that is not I'm thinking to re-take that and hopefully make that a grade B and I didn't know they wouldn't accept Health and Social Care because it just wrote BTEC requirements so what do you think wouldn't they accept it? Because if not then I'll have to change it for next year t
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by okkon
I'm thinking about taking a gap year before applying to med. I've got 5 GCSE's that are B and above its just one that is not I'm thinking to re-take that and hopefully make that a grade B and I didn't know they wouldn't accept Health and Social Care because it just wrote BTEC requirements so what do you think wouldn't they accept it? Because if not then I'll have to change it for next year to applied science

Just one of the unis I saw specified applied Science no other BTEC. You really really need to look this stuff up for yourself.

If you haven't chosen the BTEC yet and A-levels are any kind of option for you I would definitely advise taking them. As you will see for yourself (with your research), taking a single BTEC leaves you with very few options, and your chances of ever being accepted become very small.
Reply 18
Original post by nexttime
Just one of the unis I saw specified applied Science no other BTEC. You really really need to look this stuff up for yourself.

If you haven't chosen the BTEC yet and A-levels are any kind of option for you I would definitely advise taking them. As you will see for yourself (with your research), taking a single BTEC leaves you with very few options, and your chances of ever being accepted become very small.

Alright, I will thanks for your advice :smile:
What subjects do I need to do at a level then? I got an A in Georaphy, A in geography an A in Lit. and A in German. I cannot do Chemistry and Biology because I got a 4 in Maths which is to be remarked. Do you think I can get to a UNI with a BTEC in Apllied Sciences?

Latest