aladdin818
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I currently do writing out on wipe board or writing out by hand. Is one of these better than the other, would you say? Any other ways that really works for people? especially for huge amounts of info.
Physgeek01
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It depends what type of learner you are, I would also recommend you reading what you're writing simultaneously so the information goes in by ear as well.
In terms of whiteboard or paper I doubt one is better than the other, as long as you're getting the information down.
socialdisaster
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I vouch for reading it out as well. Also, take regular breaks and come back to it, and read over it before going to sleep every night because information stays in better that way.
JuSt_Do_It_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Breaks help refresh ur brain. writing things down while studying helps also
JuSt_Do_It_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
staying well hydrated may also help
queenofswords
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I remember the layout of the page. Then I can 'zoom' into the sections during the exam. I have a semi photographic memory.
AlphaWolfZ
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Helpful pointer for people who read their notes. The problem with this method is your brain can't really tell the difference between actually knowing the notes or being familiar with it. That's why tools like ANKI work wonders, the use spaced repetition which is proven to work much better than conventional revision technique.
master_cyli
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by aladdin818)
I currently do writing out on wipe board or writing out by hand. Is one of these better than the other, would you say? Any other ways that really works for people? especially for huge amounts of info.
Well, I'm not sure how much time you have until your exams (they are approaching, as always, needless to say) but either way, here are some techniques that are bound to help, hopefully:
  • Try to write the material you're revising in your own words. Instead of copy and pasting writing from your book/media onto your book, try and processing it at a higher level, if you don't understand it or are unsure about it and can't properly form your own words then ask your teachers or peers to help you out on understanding that concept.
  • Sometimes reading over and over again helps. Now this specifically focuses on long-term memory, you start reading the content at the start of the year, say a few pages every night (or how your teacher progresses the lessons) and you finish reading the entire book in a month. Of course, highlight areas that sound alien to you, and they should, it's the first time you've across them, then reread again, ask your peers and teachers questions. Well, I wouldn't recommend you to do this as a tool for cramming, because, you know, we all jumble up bits of information from here and there when we're freaking out.
  • Writing or typing. You need to choose which one suits you best. Either way, it depends o the person. I prefer typing it out, in my opinion, I can make my notes look more clean and organised, and easily add new bits to it. As for writing, you can make it look pretty, colourful and sometimes when you write it down yourself, it stays in your head, and you also know where to look.
  • "ForgetMeNots". These were introduced in our school (specifically the chem department), in which students were given packs of exam questions for each topic. In each pack there were at least 3 to 4 tests. One to do now, then tonight, then tomorrow, and then next week. If you found a topic hard, you continued with whole process until you got full marks in those exam questions. They were out of 25, so pretty small and concise. In the end, you knew what kind of questions would come up, how you needed to answer them, and because it's based on the meta-cognitive researches on memory, information learnt in this process stays a long time, goes a long way.

Anyway! I think that's about it. Eeep. As you've said, writing on a white board on which you can rub off might be a little icky, unless you know the content. But writing may be easier, as you have notes lying around, and you can look 'em up anytime you want.

Good luck with your exams! What are you taking?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (114)
40.28%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (31)
10.95%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (22)
7.77%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (64)
22.61%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (33)
11.66%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed