abbeycook1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey, I'm averaging around 55 percent for the online practice tests, my percentage does increase every time I practice which is ok I guess. I've booked my test for just over a weeks time though and concerned that I might not scrape a pass... Worst case scenario.

Do they make the practice tests harder than the actual tests?

Help!
BethanyVJ
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by abbeycook1)
Hey, I'm averaging around 55 percent for the online practice tests, my percentage does increase every time I practice which is ok I guess. I've booked my test for just over a weeks time though and concerned that I might not scrape a pass... Worst case scenario.

Do they make the practice tests harder than the actual tests?

Help!
Hi, I have my literacy test today, so I will let you know how I get on!
abbeycook1
Rep:
?
(Original post by BethanyVJ)
Hi, I have my literacy test today, so I will let you know how I get on!
Please do! Good Luck
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nope - they are pretty much the same. Work on your punctuation. There are 15 easy marks for the taking which is about half way. You could always postpone your test and give yourself a bit more time.

Good luck!
BethanyVJ
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Please do! Good Luck
Just got back and I passed!! Phew!!! The spellings were harder than the test papers, some caught me off guard! The grammar section was okay and the letter part where you have to decide which wording is correct. The comprehension part was really long to read! I skimmed through it and then looked at the statements before trying to find the information I needed. Just glad that it's all done now! Maths in 2 weeks time which will be hard for me I think! I am not expecting to pass the first time!
abbeycook1
Rep:
?
Well done! You must feel so good to have got it out of the way.
Mine is next week :s I'm averaging around 65 percent now in the tests.
What sort of percentages were you getting in the practice tests?
BethanyVJ
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well done! You must feel so good to have got it out of the way.
Mine is next week :s I'm averaging around 65 percent now in the tests.
What sort of percentages were you getting in the practice tests?
Thank you! I was getting 65-78% in the practise tests. I would like to see where I gained the most marks, but not sure if you get that sort of information. The one spelling that stumped me was entrepreneur! 🤔
N.sx1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,

Did you get an A4 piece of paper, to write down notes, in the literacy test?
BethanyVJ
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by N.sx1)
Hi,

Did you get an A4 piece of paper, to write down notes, in the literacy test?
I had a whiteboard to write things down on
N.sx1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BethanyVJ)
I had a whiteboard to write things down on
did you use it for the comprehension part?
BethanyVJ
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by N.sx1)
did you use it for the comprehension part?
I didn't really use it at all for the literacy test
LeylaRich
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Guys, were the practice tests similar to the actual tests?
unistudent1239
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
im averaging around 60%. what is the pass rate? Im really struggling on the spellings.. any help please. thanks x
LeylaRich
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by unistudent1239)
im averaging around 60%. what is the pass rate? Im really struggling on the spellings.. any help please. thanks x
I think 63% must be the average. I would recommend trying out some online spelling games/quizzes. Good luck!
rebecca1888
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi Abbey did you manage to pass your literacy test ?
boothy18966
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I have literally just passed today. I was struggling so much with the Literacy it was my last attempt. What helped me was a book called Passing the Literacy Skills Test by Jim Johnson and Bruce Bond. The spellings in there all came up in the test. On the other attempts I kept getting distracted and often would miss vital bits of the questions which would give me the wrong answers. The spellings, I would say practise as much as you can 10 a night. For the punctuation use the online material on the skills test website. I also used the book as it explained more in depth why certain punctuation are used in certain areas. It helped me a lot as I didn't just want to guess. The grammar section I would say just read every option. I kept dragging and dropping each option into the box and reading it to myself till I found the correct answer. The one section where I kept loosing marks was the last section on comprehension. The easiest way I found to help me was reading it through and writing key information on a whiteboard so my mind was processing it. One of the questions which came up was to write in steps how a student would get a learning mentor. After writing it down I had the answers straight away. I was really nervous as this was my last attempt. I would say do not panic and use all the time given. With the punctuation section go back and check as I found this helps. Hope this helps and Good Luck !!
Binny3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey do you remember what spellings came up and what was the topic on comprehension. I have my test this week and I'm really struggling. My weakness is is punctuation can you give me any pointers pleaseeeee
boothy18966
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Binny3)
Hey do you remember what spellings came up and what was the topic on comprehension. I have my test this week and I'm really struggling. My weakness is is punctuation can you give me any pointers pleaseeeee
Have a look at the online skills tests. The spellings part is probably the hardest theres no easy way but to learn spellings. I would recommend buying the book from Waterstones for £10. With the last section take your time, I failed twice by not paying attention, make sure you are writing down all the information that comes up. As for punctuation : One thing you always get tested on is question marks. One will always come up. Best thing to do is take each line as it comes and read it slowly.

Good Luck !

(Take your time)
computed
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Binny3)
Go on to "Quizlet" and search for QTS Spellings. Select the one with the most terms in it and practice it.

I did that and most of the spellings from there came up!

I would post a direct link to the list, but I'm not sure if I am allowed to post it here.
hilt234
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just to add to this. Can't recommend the Quizlet suggestion enough. ALL of the words I revised on Quizlet came up, led to me passing second time around!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (313)
66.03%
No (161)
33.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed