Annie.k
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey,
So I took Latin in year eight and nine for gcse, but before I could complete the course I moved schools, where they made me take french. I havent done latin in about two years, and the sixth form I've applied to for September don't offer the a level, do you think its possible to self teach myself Latin to a level standard from scratch?
I'm good at memorizing, I get A*s in biology, history etc. But I'm currently exoected a c in french at gcse. Ive gotten A in my french coursework (its basically memorizing) , but im rubbish at listening and reading.
I was just wondering if I could do it, seeing as I'm bad at the language I do take? The Latin I was taught at gcse seemed nothing like French, and I took great interest in it, also I'm excellent at literature. Do you think its possible to teach my self Latin to a level standard?
Thanks in advance x
RuneFreeze
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What your saying is quite contradictory; the french listening reading exam is literally the only exam that is 100% memorisation
Annie.k
Rep:
?
(Original post by RuneFreeze)
What your saying is quite contradictory; the french listening reading exam is literally the only exam that is 100% memorisation
I'm sorry, I'm not sure whether I was clear. In speaking/ writing, I have a clear page to memorize, but for listening and reading, I don't have a set of vocab to memorize. That's why I'm doing well in coursework but not the exam. Does that make sense?
RuneFreeze
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Annie.k)
I'm sorry, I'm not sure whether I was clear. In speaking/ writing, I have a clear page to memorize, but for listening and reading, I don't have a set of vocab to memorize. That's why I'm doing well in coursework but not the exam. Does that make sense?
What exam board are you doing? Because as far as I know there is a very clear vocabulary list that lists every word that could come up (or at least as many as would need to know to be able to answer the questions). For AQA there is a vocabulary list on the specification, I don't know about other exam boards.
SublimeArchon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Latin is literally just translation, so if you can do that, it might be ok. GCSE was hard as sht for me, and I can imagine A level would be a massive jump from that. Just to stay on the side of caution, do your research first.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Annie.k)
Hey,
So I took Latin in year eight and nine for gcse, but before I could complete the course I moved schools, where they made me take french. I havent done latin in about two years, and the sixth form I've applied to for September don't offer the a level, do you think its possible to self teach myself Latin to a level standard from scratch?
I'm good at memorizing, I get A*s in biology, history etc. But I'm currently exoected a c in french at gcse. Ive gotten A in my french coursework (its basically memorizing) , but im rubbish at listening and reading.
I was just wondering if I could do it, seeing as I'm bad at the language I do take? The Latin I was taught at gcse seemed nothing like French, and I took great interest in it, also I'm excellent at literature. Do you think its possible to teach my self Latin to a level standard?
Thanks in advance x
What other a-levels are you thinking of taking?
Annie.k
Rep:
?
I'm doing AQA, but my teacher never mentioned a vocab list. If I'm honest I never really put much effort into French, but I'll have a look on their website for a vocab list

Posted from TSR Mobile
Annie.k
Rep:
?
Originally, literature, biology, psychology and fine art. I want yo be a psychologist, but apparently psychology and art are seen as 'soft' subjects. I'm not completely decided on dropping g fine art ( I'll definitely miss it) but just in case I decide not to, I want a an option as replacement

Posted from TSR Mobile
Annie.k
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice x I'm trying to look into it and I've checked out a couple of past papers, but otherwise I'm guessing I'll have to get a tutor or something if I do end up wanting to take it

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (43)
46.74%
No, they should still go ahead (21)
22.83%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (28)
30.43%

Watched Threads