The Student Room Group

English Literature Urgent Help

I'm freaking out. Just realised I have an English literature exam in about 21 days and haven't started revising since I complete forgot about it.Plus, it happens to be one of my worst subjects always getting C's but I really want a B. I tried to revise yesterday but it is so crazy the amount of hours I have to put into to just watch a character analysis on YouTube , like I took about 3hrs to write them down on paper a huge waste of time. I feel like I am going to FAIL especially since I only done one mock which was only in paper one . What is the best way to efficiently revise for literature ? What should I been looking for? What area should I focus more?
I'm doing Romeo and Juliet , Jekyll and Hyde and Inspector Calls , Poetry :Conflict
Original post by ParisOMg
I'm freaking out. Just realised I have an English literature exam in about 21 days and haven't started revising since I complete forgot about it.Plus, it happens to be one of my worst subjects always getting C's but I really want a B. I tried to revise yesterday but it is so crazy the amount of hours I have to put into to just watch a character analysis on YouTube , like I took about 3hrs to write them down on paper a huge waste of time. I feel like I am going to FAIL especially since I only done one mock which was only in paper one . What is the best way to efficiently revise for literature ? What should I been looking for? What area should I focus more?
I'm doing Romeo and Juliet , Jekyll and Hyde and Inspector Calls , Poetry :Conflict

I could help you with Jekyll & Hyde and conflict poetry :smile:

My advice would be to read through all the texts. Find past papers and see which extracts they gave you - analyse these deeply. Even if the same extract is unlikely to come up, you've already built up the skills to analyse extracts, so this should get you ready for the real thing. In addition, attempt some past papers in your free time and ask any literature teacher to give you feedback on it. Literature is about practice and I'm afraid that there's really no other way of getting a good grade than just practicing your essays.

Also, I'm sure you already know about this but use Mr Bruff!
Hope this helps :smile:

Your worrying? Mate i got it worse, I'm still on Grade 2 for both English lan & lit since the spring mocks. I'm predicted a 3.
Original post by MoonlightBoo
I could help you with Jekyll & Hyde and conflict poetry :smile:

My advice would be to read through all the texts. Find past papers and see which extracts they gave you - analyse these deeply. Even if the same extract is unlikely to come up, you've already built up the skills to analyse extracts, so this should get you ready for the real thing. In addition, attempt some past papers in your free time and ask any literature teacher to give you feedback on it. Literature is about practice and I'm afraid that there's really no other way of getting a good grade than just practicing your essays.

Also, I'm sure you already know about this but use Mr Bruff!
Hope this helps :smile:

So I don't really have to look for quotes? And yes ! Help me with Jekyll and Hyde , I am good at analysing but I'm very rubbish in choosing good quotes , structuring my answer as a whole .
Original post by JuSt_Do_It_
Your worrying? Mate i got it worse, I'm still on Grade 2 for both English lan & lit since the spring mocks. I'm predicted a 3.

Make this 2 weeks count push your grades up to a 4 even a 5. I believe in you . My Christmas mocks in maths was a level 4 for spring a Level 7 , you can do it if I can do it .
Make this 2 weeks count push your grades up to a 4 even a 5. I believe in you . My Christmas mocks in maths was a level 4 for spring a Level 7 , you can do it if I can do it .

Thank You for the support, I wish you the best as well. :smile:
So I don't really have to look for quotes? And yes ! Help me with Jekyll and Hyde , I am good at analysing but I'm very rubbish in choosing good quotes , structuring my answer as a whole .

No no no, quotes are the most important part because not providing evidence won't let you get anything more than a level 4/5.
As for quotes, I'd say use the rule of 3 - 3 quotes for each character and theme, from the beginning, middle and end of the text. This way, you can use it in your essay to talk about the text as a whole
Original post by MoonlightBoo
No no no, quotes are the most important part because not providing evidence won't let you get anything more than a level 4/5.
As for quotes, I'd say use the rule of 3 - 3 quotes for each character and theme, from the beginning, middle and end of the text. This way, you can use it in your essay to talk about the text as a whole

Okay , thank you!!!!
However, if you can't remember a quote in the exam don't worry because if you know the play at least then you can use some parts of the play as an example and develop it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aliyahzz
However, if you can't remember a quote in the exam don't worry because if you know the play at least then you can use some parts of the play as an example and develop it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How would you structure an essay for the first paper? Do you just analyse language and context all through out
Basically in the exam they gonna ask you two questions: how does the author present a character in this extract and how does the author present it in the novel as a whole.

you should aim to write three paragraphs for each one.

Also to structure an essay use this essay structure to help you:

Point
Evidence=(quotations or explanation of the play)
Explain=( I.e what does it show/ emphasise and type of technique used like personification etc)
Development=( how does it have an effect on the reader, context of the play or another suggestion the quote could make)

In addition, you write a conclusion after you wrote enough paragraphs for the second bulletpoint.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending