Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    The top student in the UK for A levels is from Kent!

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/news/def...ticle_id=16334
    Wooo... can anyone say 'boring' God I bet he had no time for anything else! Further maths! I would have been suicidal if I would have taken that many subjects, I cringe knowing I've taken history, double science and G.N.V.Q I.T at G.S.C.E level!

Oh well each to their own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    Notice he's doing Maths and Physics as a degree. Maths and Physics (esp the latter) are the best.
    just a quick distinction here:
    in Cambridge it's not possible to do Maths and Physics as a joint honours course. it's a course run by the maths department, where 3/4 of the first year is spent doing maths modules and 1/4 doing physics. at the end of that first year, you choose whether to continue doing straight maths, or to transfer into the natural science tripos doing physics (people who haven't done biology or chemistry at A-Level wouldn't be able to get into the Natsci tripos for the first year)

but he's done well to get in - each year out of 250 maths tripos students, only about 20 of them are doing maths & physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    just a quick distinction here:
    in Cambridge it's not possible to do Maths and Physics as a joint honours course. it's a course run by the maths department, where 3/4 of the first year is spent doing maths modules and 1/4 doing physics. at the end of that first year, you choose whether to continue doing straight maths, or to transfer into the natural science tripos doing physics (people who haven't done biology or chemistry at A-Level wouldn't be able to get into the Natsci tripos for the first year)

but he's done well to get in - each year out of 250 maths tripos students, only about 20 of them are doing maths & physics.
    And in the 2nd year and onwards it's just maths and physics and advanced physics?

ReputationRep:
    imagine if this guy is reading this forum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    The top student in the UK for A levels is from Kent!

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/news/def...ticle_id=16334
    Actually I'm from Hertfordshire. Did this guy who came second go to the school in Tonbridge Wells?

ReputationRep:
    "In July he represented Britain in the International Maths Olympiad in Athens where he won a bronze medal."

I think that is far more impressive than getting 8 As at A level.
    He should've gone to Trinity to do maths. I bet the IMO people don't even have to take STEP and are sent letters pleading them to do maths there hehe.
    Even though he did get the lowest score on the team haha.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I know. I was only kidding.

ReputationRep:
    Can i ask evryone who is reading or readc this thread to comment on who is the smartest in your opinion.... and DO YOU think you can compete with them?????????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fade Into Black)
    Can i ask evryone who is reading or readc this thread to comment on who is the smartest in your opinion.... and DO YOU think you can compete with them?????????
    Isaac Newton...absolute legend.
    Yea I could compete with him on my day

ReputationRep:
    I kinda meant the a-level geniuses which have been discussed durin the thread
    but reali i doubt your Issac Newtons level
    sorry

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.