The Student Room Group

Is this degree well-suited for a career in Human Resources?

Personally, I think Bath University is a better choice, purely on the basis that it offers you a x2 6 month placement! It is a great opportunity for you to build your CV and obtain valuable skills. It also gives you the chance to see whether working in HR is suited for you. Work experience is extremely important nowadays as without it, you most likely won't get very far in the job market.

Additionally, a degree in Management with Psychology is a good degree choice for someone considering going into HR. According to Monster.co.uk, anyone who has a degree in Management, Psychology or Business would be in an advantage in comparison to someone who doesn't.
https://www.monster.co.uk/career-advice/article/what-qualifications-are-important-in-hr
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by honour
Thanks squirrology - loving the username! - I'm also looking into a BA in Human Resource Management at Leeds, which offers a Year in Industry, do you reckon that's a better choice than the other two?

It depends on how certain you are that HR is for you. CIPD qualification is often a far more relevant consideration for HR positions than what degree somebody has. Two placements, assuming they are somewhat relevant, would give you a considerable advantage over many recent graduates but you would probably want to study for some level of CIPD after your degree in that case if you still wanted to pursue a career in HR.

In the interest of keeping your options open, I would suggest the Bath degree makes the most sense. If you are still set on HR, you can either study for the CIDP directly through a local provider whenever you want, or take a postgraduate course which will be equal to the highest level of CIPD qualification.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending