thebestemilymae
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,
I'm a Second Year Student, going into third year - year abroad - and I'm having some issues.
I'm receiving the lowest maintenance grant because my mum '''earns'' above the bracket by a tiny amount, and when I say earns, I mean she is in a lot of debt, and receives only a fraction of her salary after taxes,when she does get it, it plunges straight into an overdraft of a couple of thousand pounds.
My parents live together, mainly out of financial necessity as the debt is a shared issue and they have shared accounts, and both work long hours.
She is in a serious financial situation to the point where she is now battling depression. Up and till now she has been giving me money that she has saved up in an ISA to fund maintenance costs but she is in such a bad way I can't ask for that any more, and my maintenance ''grant'' only affords me sixty pounds per term if I take away only my rent.
As a result my mental health is also suffering and my financial situation is causing a lot of anxiety distracting me from my exams and I'm worried about how I'm going to survive the next few months.
Therefore, my question is: given my situation, is there any financial aid I could receive from SFE or my uni?
Thank you.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by thebestemilymae)
Hi,
I'm a Second Year Student, going into third year - year abroad - and I'm having some issues.
I'm receiving the lowest maintenance grant because my mum '''earns'' above the bracket by a tiny amount, and when I say earns, I mean she is in a lot of debt, and receives only a fraction of her salary after taxes,when she does get it, it plunges straight into an overdraft of a couple of thousand pounds.
My parents live together, mainly out of financial necessity as the debt is a shared issue and they have shared accounts, and both work long hours.
She is in a serious financial situation to the point where she is now battling depression. Up and till now she has been giving me money that she has saved up in an ISA to fund maintenance costs but she is in such a bad way I can't ask for that any more, and my maintenance ''grant'' only affords me sixty pounds per term if I take away only my rent.
As a result my mental health is also suffering and my financial situation is causing a lot of anxiety distracting me from my exams and I'm worried about how I'm going to survive the next few months.
Therefore, my question is: given my situation, is there any financial aid I could receive from SFE or my uni?
Thank you.
Your uni might help. However, SFE don't take any debts into account. Do you have a student bank account with an interest free overdraft?
thebestemilymae
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
Your uni might help. However, SFE don't take any debts into account. Do you have a student bank account with an interest free overdraft?
I do but originally it was just a £500 overdraft, I've extended it £1000 earlier this year and I've tried extending it further but they won't let me even though you can have up to £1500 as a student.
Ryan SFE
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by thebestemilymae)
Hi,
Thank you.
Hi thebestemilymae,

We are unable to comment on your university. I would recommend you speak directly to your university with regards to financial aid.

If you are experiencing financial hardship we may be able to look at bringing your future payment forward. If this sounds like something that may be helpful to you please contact (0300) 100 0607 and request a financial hardship form.

We will require you to complete the form and provide evidence. We would require:
  • 3 months bank statements (all accounts in students name)
  • evidence of any obligations that they are liable to pay (tenancy agreement, utility bills etc)
  • copies of any debt/arrears letter they may have

As they work on a case by case basis, any additional evidence that you think shows financial hardship should be sent with the form.

Hope this helps
thebestemilymae
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ryan SFE)
Hi thebestemilymae,

We are unable to comment on your university. I would recommend you speak directly to your university with regards to financial aid.

If you are experiencing financial hardship we may be able to look at bringing your future payment forward. If this sounds like something that may be helpful to you please contact (0300) 100 0607 and request a financial hardship form.

We will require you to complete the form and provide evidence. We would require:
  • 3 months bank statements (all accounts in students name)
  • evidence of any obligations that they are liable to pay (tenancy agreement, utility bills etc)
  • copies of any debt/arrears letter they may have

As they work on a case by case basis, any additional evidence that you think shows financial hardship should be sent with the form.

Hope this helps
Hi Ryan,
Thank you for your response.
It is good to know that I have that option,
Best Wishes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (153)
38.25%
Take autumn exams (123)
30.75%
Look for a job (14)
3.5%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.25%
Take a year out (68)
17%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (25)
6.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise