The Student Room Group

cie igcse geography june 2017

Scroll to see replies

Because that's what it said in the question.... (effects(
Original post by Ajax23JUmpin

Are we talking about the same paper (12)? In the paper I did it definitely said state the causes of an earthquake... I'm so confused...
Don't worry you only lost 7 marks which is 9.333333333% :frown:
Don't worry you only lost 7 marks which is 9.333333333% :frown:

Have you even read through the entire thread? Everyone was complaining on how the case study was about causes of an earthquake and suddenly according to you the question was about the EFFECTS? Read the thread... we shall see who gets the A* on results day...
I wrote about the effects, but I didn't read the question right because after it all my friends said it was the causes, so you probably misread the question as I did

Posted from TSR Mobile
you really think you are correct when everyone else says it was causes.... oh dear... let's see who has dropped the 9.3%
does anyone have any tips for the geo paper 2 map skills? mine is on wednesday! does anyone know what will be asked in the questions after the 20 marks of map skills?
Original post by briellegonz
does anyone have any tips for the geo paper 2 map skills? mine is on wednesday! does anyone know what will be asked in the questions after the 20 marks of map skills?

Stuff which wasn't on paper 1, so weather, energy, coasts and water I think...
Actually I have to agree with GeoGenius on this one: had a quick discussion with mates, they all agree the title was the effects not causes.

OMG can you read. It said causes so shut up and stop making everyone else feel bad.
Can we just take a moment to realise how Batty JakeOwen's comment was "OMG can you read" - lol
Reply 70
it was causes trust me i checked the question like 10 times
Reply 71

it was Causes u got it wrong? sorry if its hurts when we say u aint gonna get A*
Actually I have to agree with GeoGenius on this one: had a quick discussion with mates, they all agree the title was the effects not causes.

It was causes not effects!!
Reply 73
How did you guys find paper 2?
Original post by AT2001
How did you guys find paper 2?

I thought it was alright/s;lightly challenging... the southern hemisphere questions kinda confused me but other than that it was alright. What about you? How did you find the maps part?
Reply 75
Original post by Kronixion
I thought it was alright/s;lightly challenging... the southern hemisphere questions kinda confused me but other than that it was alright. What about you? How did you find the maps part?

It was Ok. I messed up the clouds section so much.
Original post by nana2001
I wrote about the effects, but I didn't read the question right because after it all my friends said it was the causes, so you probably misread the question as I did

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just for clarification to those who seek it.
A wide variety of points which explain the causes of a named earthquake are credited. Here are a few examples.
E.g. Sichuan China
Point 1. Convection currents in the mesosphere drive plate movement, this causes the Indian and Eurasian plates to move towards each other as it is a destructive plate margin, stress builds up between the two plates and this pressure/stress is suddenly released through seismic s and p waves, thus leading the to the Richter 7.9 earthquake in May 2008 for example.

Point 2.Nuclear testing in various provinces (not North Korea btw:biggrin:) adds to stress and tension at the plate margin, which means increased pressure at the boundary, contributing to the earthquake itself.

Point 3. Fracking/search for oil.

I did find this question difficult myself, but, even if you misread it, you may be given some credit for knowledge that pertains to the question on causes.
Original post by AT2001
It was Ok. I messed up the clouds section so much.

It was:

Cumulus,
large cotton ball shaped white:biggrin: (legit there is prbs a mark reserved for this)

Cirrus,
Thin wispy, high up in the atmosphere

Stratus,
Lower in the atmosphere

U only need 5 points/accurate descrip of the clouds so u may still get marks even if
u did not know wtf the clouds acc were
Reply 78
Yeah
I put cumulus, cirrus and then altostratus.
I also messed up some of the heights and i said the cumulus clouds were wispy.
Oh well, i'll get a few marks.
Original post by Hari1241
It was:

Cumulus,
large cotton ball shaped white:biggrin: (legit there is prbs a mark reserved for this)

Cirrus,
Thin wispy, high up in the atmosphere

Stratus,
Lower in the atmosphere

U only need 5 points/accurate descrip of the clouds so u may still get marks even if
u did not know wtf the clouds acc were

I thought that it was cumulonimbus instead of cumulus because the cloud was quite big...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending