Turn on thread page Beta

IAMA trainee accountant & auditor (ICAEW ACA) training in a non-big 4 firm. AMA! watch

ReputationRep:
    Does it pay well ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rabada)
    It's great to hear you have been so successful as a school leaver, about to qualify with the ACA. I was wondering if you could give some more insight into how you are/were treated by other senior members in your firm as a school leaver during the duration of your time there. Would you also say there is a clear path for future prospects for you at your current firm i.e you feel you will be able to progress and move up the ranks as an ex school leaver?
    The accountancy sector is built around trainees doing the prep for review by a qualified person, and everyone starts as a trainee so everyone has been in your position. Everyone is a team and you're treated like a team. I think in the big 4 there is more of a barrier between trainees and managers, but in smaller firms this barrier is much less noticeable.

There is a clear path for my future at my current firm, but when qualified I'll have been there for around 6 years so naturally I will consider moving on. I think i'd be naive to stay at my firm without seeing what other opportunities there are. ACA brings a range of opportunities so I want to make sure I fully know my options before committing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trevish)
    Does it pay well ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ha! A job will never pay as well as you would want. I started back in the day on £10k but you get a payrise of between £1k - £3k every six months depending on your performance and exam results. You have to remember that you're getting a training package work a few £k as well which you don't really think about. At the end of the day, when you qualify you'll be commanding a salary of £40k+ (in my region) so I was happy to take low pay for now. Due to pay rises I am now on a fairly average salary for my age, but I did get 3 years worth of salary whilst others were racking up the debt at Uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    Back in the day when I used this website religiously I always used to see people from the big 4 doing AMAs and never really anyone to explain what happens outside the big 4.

Well, I won't reveal the firm I work for but I can tell you it's not in the top 10. I followed the AAT route, moving on to ACA and am now doing my final exams before I qualify.

Feel free to ask me any questions!
    Hi Runninground,

I am considering taking up an ACA contract with a non-accountancy firm (currently working in the civil service in a very comfortable and flexible job with great work-life balance) only because I'm hoping I'll find it quite interesting. I currently don't enjoy my job at all. But in shifting to the ACA role, I'll be taking a yearly £9k paycut, a much busier and harder work and home life and certainly a lot more stress.

For me, the only upside is that I'll potentially be doing something I enjoy. But given I've only briefly studied accounting (couple of modules at uni) and never done any work on it I was hoping you could give me some details about exactly what you do on a day-to-day basis?

I remember in my accounting modules we'd spend time using notes and trial balances to create new balance sheets and income statements and cash flows. There was some ratio analysis to understand company performance, and I did some management accounting like cost accounting, budgeting, VAR analysis and so on.

Can you please tell me if you actually do any of that stuff during work?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 3, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.