Financial support advice for a N.Ireland student going to study in England. Watch

markova21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Just been looking at student finance NI, which is where we live. My son has had 2 years of HE funding with his HND, and if he accepts his place at Man Met will be going into the second year. I've just been looking on the Student Finance NI website for the academic year 2017/18. It says if you are studying in somewhere other than London, i.e. "Elsewhere", it says the maximum you are entitled to in Maintenance is £4,840 for the second year and a bit less for the final year. The accommodation fees at Birley are £5,586 a year. The Maintenance Loan is supposed to cover rent, food, clothes a
etc, but judging by this is doesn't even cover the rent. I am a single parent on a very low income. Can someone help? Maybe i've got it all wrong. Thanks.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by markova21)
Just been looking at student finance NI, which is where we live. My son has had 2 years of HE funding with his HND, and if he accepts his place at Man Met will be going into the second year. I've just been looking on the Student Finance NI website for the academic year 2017/18. It says if you are studying in somewhere other than London, i.e. "Elsewhere", it says the maximum you are entitled to in Maintenance is £4,840 for the second year and a bit less for the final year. The accommodation fees at Birley are £5,586 a year. The Maintenance Loan is supposed to cover rent, food, clothes a
etc, but judging by this is doesn't even cover the rent. I am a single parent on a very low income. Can someone help? Maybe i've got it all wrong. Thanks.
My understanding from a quick scan is that there is a max loan of £4840 plus extra if the course is greater than 30 weeks attendance. This is repayable because its a loan.

In addition there is a grant, which is £3,475 if your income is below £19,203.

The full amount is reduced in stages with the upper ceiling being £41,065

As its a grant it is not repayable. That makes it a possible max £8,315.

In addition he is likely to need to get a job to supplement this like most students.

http://www.studentfinanceni.co.uk/po..._schema=PORTAL
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads