The Student Room Group

Please help something's wrong and exam are so close!!

I think i have PTSD i am not sure, i know its not good to self-diagnose. But im trying get work done and i really cant because i get heavy flashbacks, nightmare and i self harm. I just hate myself even more for not being able to revise!!
I was molested when i was young by 2 different people and a few years ago i was sexually assaulted by my tutor and by someone else (it was so embarrassing because my headteacher found out). I just feel really :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:y and scared that i am not going to do well and get the grades i need for university.

I have seeked help in october, and stopped it in feb as i felt CAMHS referred me to an organisation that wasn't what i needed (i dont think this was a good idea). I need help to erase those thoughts in my head and get my grades. I hate it. I dont know what to do, should i go to my GP again? One of my friends told me that i should tell my university but i need a reference/evidence and am so confused as restarting the process is so long and painful. So far i have just been using youtube videos to help myself but i am so scared because last year it got to the extent that i took an overdoes of caffeine tablets, Co-codamol and modafinil, i didnt eat or sleep. i am feeling to again...God i am so scared !

Help
Original post by Iamflorence
I think i have PTSD i am not sure, i know its not good to self-diagnose. But im trying get work done and i really cant because i get heavy flashbacks, nightmare and i self harm. I just hate myself even more for not being able to revise!!
I was molested when i was young by 2 different people and a few years ago i was sexually assaulted by my tutor and by someone else (it was so embarrassing because my headteacher found out). I just feel really :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:y and scared that i am not going to do well and get the grades i need for university.

I have seeked help in october, and stopped it in feb as i felt CAMHS referred me to an organisation that wasn't what i needed (i dont think this was a good idea). I need help to erase those thoughts in my head and get my grades. I hate it. I dont know what to do, should i go to my GP again? One of my friends told me that i should tell my university but i need a reference/evidence and am so confused as restarting the process is so long and painful. So far i have just been using youtube videos to help myself but i am so scared because last year it got to the extent that i took an overdoes of caffeine tablets, Co-codamol and modafinil, i didnt eat or sleep. i am feeling to again...God i am so scared !

Help

If you think you have a medical problem, including mental health issues, your first port of call should always be your GP- tell them that the referral to that other organisation didn't work :smile:

Help

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about that and I hope you feel better. I'd recommend going to your GP and explaining what exactly is wrong, they'd give you advice and help, should you need any.
Reply 3

Help

Sorry to hear about what you've been through. Your first point of contact should be an appointment with your GP telling them what you've been through in terms of mental health and telling them how that organisation didn't work, so that they could hopefully refer you to somewhere else where I hope they can help. Secondly, have you ever spoke to anyone about the problems you're going through? Talking about your problem with someone you trust will help deal with your anxiety etc. All the best and I hope you get help.
Wow CAHMS are the worst (I'd honestly say that they ruined my life). But anyway, it's very clear that you need help and I'm surprised your school hasn't done anything? Also, this would count as mitigating circumstances if it's really going to affect your exam performance and you should ask your teachers what they can do in terms of "special consideration" or if they can give you more support. I think your only option (unless you can go private which probably isn't likely) for getting medical help is going back to your GP but try and see if they can do anything that isn't CAHMS. Try not to stress yourself out over the exams because it's only going to make you feel worse.
Original post by Gingerbread101
If you think you have a medical problem, including mental health issues, your first port of call should always be your GP- tell them that the referral to that other organisation didn't work :smile:

You really think so? I just dont know if there is any point because I might not get the help i need in time. Last time It took 1 month after seeing the GP that someone spoke to me. And the latest appointment is 24th of may...i start my exams 12 of June!!
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Sorry to hear about what you've been through. Your first point of contact should be an appointment with your GP telling them what you've been through in terms of mental health and telling them how that organisation didn't work, so that they could hopefully refer you to somewhere else where I hope they can help. Secondly, have you ever spoke to anyone about the problems you're going through? Talking about your problem with someone you trust will help deal with your anxiety etc. All the best and I hope you get help.

I dont think anyone other than professionals would believe me as i have quite a bubbly, simily personality (yes i am that kind of person). But my friends have help me by being happy and making jokes all the time, that when i am around them it makes me forget about the problems i have. I feel that me telling them what going on might destroy that.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Wow, I'm sorry to hear about that and I hope you feel better. I'd recommend going to your GP and explaining what exactly is wrong, they'd give you advice and help, should you need any.

thanks for your reply. i will give it a go because what else can i do. Really just cant bear the thought of failing this year. University is my only "escape" route, my life's over if i dont get in.
Reply 8
I dont think anyone other than professionals would believe me as i have quite a bubbly, simily personality (yes i am that kind of person). But my friends have help me by being happy and making jokes all the time, that when i am around them it makes me forget about the problems i have. I feel that me telling them what going on might destroy that.

I see - I guess it's good to try to be happy. Unfortunately, I'm not an expert when it comes to mental health issues but I would definitely recommend that you see your GP and try to seek help from other organisations if people. I'm sure other people who reply to this thread would be able to give more helpful advice. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest