The Student Room Group

Would you abort your baby if you knew it had something wrong???

Such as Down Syndrome?

I personally couldn't.

Scroll to see replies

I don't think I would, it's still a life..

I hope I wouldn't
I wouldn't have one to begin with.
No. They can still have a happy life irregardless of any condition.
Only if it was a manlet
Original post by Compo Simmonite
Such as Down Syndrome?

I personally couldn't.

Depends on what it was that was wrong with the baby.

If it would have a huge impact on affecting the babies life negatively as it grew up, then yes, perhaps I would.

However if it was something "softer" like autism, I wouldn't abort my baby.
It would depend on what is wrong. If they would be in pain constantly and would never have any opportunities to be happy or self realise, then I would. People with an array of disabilities can and do live very fulfilling lives.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't think I would, it's still a life..

I hope I wouldn't

Yeah I am the same I can't see myself doing it but at the time could be a different story.
Such as Down Syndrome?

I personally couldn't.

Moved to Society
I don't know.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Moved to Society

Sorry for posting in the wrong room!
Such as Down Syndrome?

I personally couldn't.

It depends on what it was. If it was a problem that would make their life constantly painful then I would. If it was something like down syndrome I wouldn't. People with down syndrome can live happy lives.
i'd feel heartless for aborting a baby regardless if theres was something wrong or not.
it would depend on the severity of the problem, if it would mean the child would have a low quality of life eg. in pain the whole time and would only live a short time then maybe, also the thought of who would be able to care for the child, you have to be able to support an unhealthy baby which would mean a large emotional strain and would force you to give up work, become a full time carer and not just its mother. your example of downs syndrome though, there was an 80% chance that I was going to be a downs child but my mother didn't abort me and luckily im perfectly healthy. And,a downs child isn't the hardest person to take care of, in fact many go to college and get jobs.
overall the choice for me would be 'what the quality if life is going to be like' and 'can i support this child, both emotionally and financially'
Original post by _gcx
No. They can still have a happy life irregardless of any condition.

Irregardless? I think you mean regardless

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes
My take on this is that most people don't know what they would really do in this situation. I have 7 children, and fortunately have never had to make those choices. But I have friends who have children with Downs Syndrome. There are many things to consider here, but they say that they can meet their children's needs when they are young and when they are young parents, but they worry about what will happen to them if anything happens to them and they have no-one to take care of them or when they as parents are old and their children are now adults and don't have access to the services available to them when their children were much younger.
Most of you are young here, and don't have children, but you might think differently when you are in the situation where you have to make those choices in reality.
Such as Down Syndrome?

I personally couldn't.

Only if it was the lesser of two evils.
Either it's born with a potential life-threatening disease or it isn't born at all.
Not being born would be the lesser of the two evils in this case, coz at least the baby wouldn't suffer
No way. I think it's disgusting that someone would abort for the sole reason of disability in the first place. Maybe they should rethink parenthood if they can't cope with something non-lifethreatening.
I am usually against abortion but this would definitely test me. I'd be tempted to bin it off and have a healthy one. It is wrong and selfish but I would probably do it anyway. I'd much rather have a healthy child and would be distraught with a disabled one.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest