Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Elections (Compulsory Voting) Bill 2017, Saracen’s Fez MP

Elections (Compulsory Voting) Bill 2017

An Act to institute compulsory voting.

1: Provisions
(1) It is compulsory to vote in elections in which one is eligible to vote.
(2) There will appear on all ballot papers the option to cast a blank vote, which will not be counted for any candidate.
(3) Members not attending a polling station, completing a postal vote or voting by proxy in an election in which they are eligible to vote will be given a fixed penalty notice of £60.
(4) If an eligible voter feels they have a reason for which they were not able to vote, which may include, but is not limited to, illness, medical treatment, unplanned absence from the country on polling day, or incarceration, they may take their case before a magistrate, who is able to annul the fixed penalty notice.

2: Extent
This Act extends to the United Kingdom.

3: Commencement
The provisions of this Act come into force on the 1st of April 2019.

4: Short Title
This Act may be cited as the Elections (Compulsory Voting) Act 2017.

Notes
Subject to the approval of automatic voter registration, it is possible to have a robust arrangement for compulsory voting. This will require all eligible voters to exercise their democratic right and responsibility or risk a £60 fine. Magistrates will be responsible for determining people who genuinely have a reason for being unable to vote. The opportunity to cast a blank vote is there for people who genuinely wish to abstain or whose religious beliefs mandate abstention from politics, but this abstention must now be an active one, rather than a passive decision brought on by laziness.
Joep95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No no no no no

Not wanting to take part in elections is completely fine, what does forcing people to do something they do not want to do achieve?
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye
username2080673
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This brings no real benefit. I'm making the presumption that the reason behind this is to increase voter turnout, if so, there are better ways to go about doing so. Nay.
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Aye
what does forcing people to do something they do not want to do achieve?
BobBobson
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
what's the difference in not turning up vs. ticking the blank vote. It's just nonsense.
LifeIsFine
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay- this is clearly not the way to increase turnout, you have to make people vote due to their own will and not a fine looming over them.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay, compulsory voting usually leads to "donkey voting", which in my opinion is even more damaging to democracy than not turning out at all.
username2808800
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay , awful idea
username2718212
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Connor27)
Nay, compulsory voting usually leads to "donkey voting", which in my opinion is even more damaging to democracy than not turning out at all.
I agree with the right honourable gentleman. Compulsory voting isn't the way to go, people will just vote "any old party" which will damage our democracy.
username2808800
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Connor27)
I would back this amendment if the MRLP formed
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No, this bill will make it a legal requirement for foreigners to vote in elections where they should not have a voice.
LifeIsFine
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
No, this bill will make it a legal requirement for foreigners to vote in elections where they should not have a voice.
Probably the most bizarre reason one could think of for opposing this bill.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Formatting, and beyond that a poor idea, why should people be legally mandated to vote?
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay.
United1892
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
you really are an absolute arse
username280380
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay although perhaps the meta debate is an issue. How would we fine every member of TSR who didn't vote....
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by United1892)
you really are an absolute arse
I do not believe EU nationals should have had the right to vote in the EU referendum; this bill would force them to vote.
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
PetrosAC can we dupe check jammy duels voters in the next election as his comments about dupes has me worried he may try something

Wrong thread I had multiple open
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay. Jehovah's witnesses do not engage in political activity, which whilst I disagree with, I defend their being able to.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (159)
15.79%
Uncertainty around my education (163)
16.19%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (96)
9.53%
Isolating with family (69)
6.85%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (37)
3.67%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (88)
8.74%
Loneliness (100)
9.93%
Financial worries (44)
4.37%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (91)
9.04%
Exposure to negative news/social media (71)
7.05%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (89)
8.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise