The Student Room Group

Sixth Form Choice

I am currently in year 11 studying for my GCSEs, at a below average comprehensive school, which has recently recieved a very unfavourable OFSTED score, that has put the future of the school in its current state in serious doubt.
I have recieved a conditional offer to do my A-levels at one of the best non private schools in the country.
It may seem like the obvious choice is to go to this school, however I am aware of the benefits of doing well at a struggling school on my chances of getting into the best universities in the future.
I would be very grateful if anyone had any advice.
(edited 6 years ago)
Generally speaking you really should go to the good one. The benefits of doing well in a not so good school do exist, but you need to make sure that you will not be affected by the environment and other students etc. And if the teachers are not too bad and they both offer the subjects you want to study, it's not a bad choice to stay in the familiar environment.
I have a similar situation as yours but it's a choice between a poor performing private school and a good one. I choose the good one because I think some of the students in my current school are really annoying and I can get more help and guidance in a better school.Also it's really about what you think. I tend to feel really bad when I'm the big fish in the small pond.
Don't know how would my future be affected by my decision but hope all these long-winded stuff could help you in some way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest