Private Candidate

Watch this thread
David98minion
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Is it possible to do 3 A levels in one year as private candidate? I am very motivated to do this thing. I want to do Geography, History and Philosophy. Or can you suggest me other subjects which may not include coursework.
Thank You
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by David98minion)
Is it possible to do 3 A levels in one year as private candidate? I am very motivated to do this thing. I want to do Geography, History and Philosophy. Or can you suggest me other subjects which may not include coursework.
Thank You
All you need is a test centre. Ofc if you are teaching yourself then you need to make sure you get the right syllabus etc.
David98minion
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
All you need is a test centre. Ofc if you are teaching yourself then you need to make sure you get the right syllabus etc.
Can you explain me please what means syllabus?
999tigger
Report 5 years ago
Can you explain me please what means syllabus?
If you dont know what a syllabus is, then I wouldnt rate your chances unless you were very clever.

You have to know what you are doing to ensure you learn the right things, which a teacher will automatically sort out for you. Students find it hard to do in 2 years, so why do you think you can do this in one year? Have you done A levels before? Why are you self teaching? I think you underestimate the difficulty especially if you wish to get good grades.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Thank You
Elsewhere you say you are applying to Cambridge. Have you not started your A-levels, or equivalent, yet at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
marigoldOdd
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Thank You
It's very possible. Make sure you have the correct specification and i recommend you look at all of the available specifications and exams. I think AQA might be the best board to do your subjects.

AQA PRIVATE CANDIDATE SUPPORT PAGE;
http://www.aqa.org.uk/student-suppor...ate-candidates

List of possible subjects for Private Candidates;
http://www.aqa.org.uk/student-suppor...ubjects-for-me

This is why its important you read the specification as it explains all you need. If your are going to study history (modern)

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/histo...tory-7041-7042

I'm studying these components on my own;
1C The Tudors: England, 1485–1603
2O Democracy and Nazism: Germany, 1918–1945
so if you do any of these you can ask me. For history the breadth and depth components need to have 200 years between them.

It's a little early to worry about this now but you should search for some exam centres or colleges that take private candidates.

hope that helps. And AS Level is quite easy, A-level is difficult so it would be in your interest to not cut corners revising.

When you've decided on the subjects and specification, you should buy the textbooks/guide books that are available which are extremely useful.

FOR HISTORY A-LEVEL
http://www.aqa.org.uk/resources/hist...oved-textbooks

And one tip is to enjoy the subjects because discipline has a limit, you should be eager to revise and learn.
Good luck XD
Compost
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
History has coursework but Business Studies, Economics, Psychology, Sociology and Religious Studies do not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (52)
26.4%
As I expected (65)
32.99%
Harder (72)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.06%

Watched Threads