The Student Room Group

Has anyone managed to stop caring about what other people think?

When I was younger I used to have major social anxiety, I barely spoke to anyone except my close friends, who were few since I was so shy. I wasn't even unpopular I just was non-existant. I wouldn't be surprised if people from school didn't remember me.

Miraculously I managed to get rid of this the year after I left 6th form and at university I was totally fine, made loads of friends etc. I am now graduated.

I am starting to feel myself slipping back into my old ways of over analysing everything and being paranoid that people don't like me. I overthink the most trivial things and worry that people will think what I said is arrogant or rude or stupid or embarassing. I care what people think.

Has anyone ever managed to completely shed this? It's so :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:ing exhausting, I actually feel drained. It's the most stupid :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:.
Reply 1
Yes, but I am not sure how. it was a gradual thing that happened to coincide with the more pissed off I got at dealing with dickheads in work. I come across as quite flippant to some people (especially if they have elevated sense of self importance) I think, but I'm not really arsed about that either.
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
Yes, but I am not sure how. it was a gradual thing that happened to coincide with the more pissed off I got at dealing with dickheads in work. I come across as quite flippant to some people (especially if they have elevated sense of self importance) I think, but I'm not really arsed about that either.

It's actually not so much dickheads... like if someone is a dick to me then I don't care about them or what they think. It's more about friends and acquaintances.
Reply 3
That's normal and I'd like to be like that. I constantly worry about whether my friends actually like me (for no reason) or if this one thing I said upset someone or made them think I was arrogant or rude or mean etc.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
It's actually not so much dickheads... like if someone is a dick to me then I don't care about them or what they think. It's more about friends and acquaintances.

Friends are different. I care to some degree what they think else they wouldn't be friends, but there are some parts of my life where that respect for their viewpoint is of no consequence whatsoever. Acquaintances aren't worth losing sleep over. They're just people you kinda know and have no real impact on your life. I guess a lot of it is keeping some sense of perspective. Easier said than done, I guess.
For the most part, yes.
It depends on the day though :colondollar:
No I constantly cringe at myself because of the way I interact with ppl lol it's paralyzing

i want the world to drop dead, its too much.

Everyone's mocking me
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
bump
Sort of. My social anxiety was really bad a few years ago but I'm slowly starting to care less and less what strangers think. I have bad days and good days but I am more comfortable and confident in who I am as a person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending