Media Studies AS

Watch this thread
LC201010
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Does anyone have a example structure for the media representation essay?
nicolebodgersxo
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
I don't know if this is what you mean but here is a basic one we were given if it's any help:
1) Overview of representation (definition) and then an over view of the representation you have been asked about in the question so for example, if it were gender, a simple overview of how women are usually represented or how men are
2) Identify the text
3) Summarise the representation offered
4) Identify the purpose
5) Identify the key visual and technical codes offered & how they constructed a representation
My teacher suggested that you follow a what how why basis so what is the code, how has it been used and why has it been used
hope that helps x
Zaradavidson
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
You need to do an introduction on representation first to show that you understand it. This is the one we were told to learn:

All representations in the media are constructive versions of reality. The construction process is called mediation, which is when media institutions select, organise and focus. Representations are determined by the institutions agenda and the target audiences expectations.

You then need to state the dominant ideology of the representation you're looking at, for example,

The dominant ideology of men are that they're not too fussed on their appearance, the stronger/more heroic gender, they have an interest in sport and enjoy a cold beer.

You then give 2 examples on different types of media which explain why men support this ideology and then 2 examples on why they challenge it.

If anyone needs any help let me know as our teacher has given us structures for each question and examples. Also if anyone has anything on the second question please help me out as we haven't learnt it yet!!
Zaradavidson
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Just seen in my notes you also need a conclusion summarising your answer, suggesting that your 3/4 examples illustrate how different institutions will represent things differently depending on the agenda. Also on how representations are fluid and change over time reflecting society.

Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (10)
32.26%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (11)
35.48%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
6.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (1)
3.23%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (2)
6.45%
I’m starting to consider my university options (4)
12.9%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
3.23%

Watched Threads