The Student Room Group

For Psychology-Cardiff or Glasgow??

Hi guys. I'm an international student, needing some help to make a choice between Cardiff and Glasgow.
I've been in the UK for 2 yrs studying A-Levels. If I'm gonna get in UoG, I need to study 3 subjects in Year1, continuing with any two of these in Year2, which sounds quite like A-levels. Would that be a waste of time?
Both are requiring the same conditions-AAB, no worry about the locations and costs, focusing on the structure of courses, which one is better to go?
So in Scotland you take a mix of modules in your first year in case you want to change degree topic later or you're considering a joint degree. The first year may cover some A-level topics in particular fields (this is most obvious in maths modules) this is partly because Scottish students can enter university with Highers rather than Andvanced Highers (sort of our AS, A2). So you may feel first year is a "waste" at a scottish uni.

I would say that in essay-subjects this distinction isn't as clear and it may simply give you an extra year to get used to academic writing, etc.
Reply 2
Original post by monkyvirus
So in Scotland you take a mix of modules in your first year in case you want to change degree topic later or you're considering a joint degree. The first year may cover some A-level topics in particular fields (this is most obvious in maths modules) this is partly because Scottish students can enter university with Highers rather than Andvanced Highers (sort of our AS, A2). So you may feel first year is a "waste" at a scottish uni.

I would say that in essay-subjects this distinction isn't as clear and it may simply give you an extra year to get used to academic writing, etc.

Thank you very much for your reply. I have accepted the offer from UoG as my insurance choice now.
I don't have much experience with Glasgow, but just to say Cardiff is a fantastic uni for psychology! Slightly biased as I study there (!), but if you are interested in brain imaging, check out the CUBRIC facility. They have really high tech scanners, that produce amazing images. If you can get any experience there, it's well worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest