Does hills roads actually give me a better chance of gaining entry to top unis

Watch
FrankieTWright
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm holding a place at hills road, and I want to know what it's like and whether or not it will actually give me a better chance of getting into oxford.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Danny Dorito)
x
inactive100
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(I am too holding a place at Hills) I've heard they do push their students really hard to get good grades but whether you get into Oxford really depends on you and your grades whatever school you're at but yes, it could give you an advantage since Hills put so much emphasis on getting a good grade and they also give you lots of advice and help when applying for Oxbridge (but then again there are also many other sixth forms who do this too).
FrankieTWright
Rep:
?
(Original post by awkwrdbby)
(I am too holding a place at Hills) I've heard they do push their students really hard to get good grades but whether you get into Oxford really depends on you and your grades whatever school you're at but yes, it could give you an advantage since Hills put so much emphasis on getting a good grade and they also give you lots of advice and help when applying for Oxbridge (but then again there are also many other sixth forms who do this too).
Ooh what subjects are you holding, and thanks for your reply, I'm jus trying to decide.
Jack22031994
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As ive never heard of it, Im going to say no. Getting good A-level results will be better
inactive100
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by FrankieTWright)
Ooh what subjects are you holding, and thanks for your reply, I'm jus trying to decide.
double maths, physics and french (although I'm considering switching over to chemistry rather than French but IDK yet really) what about you?
karl pilkington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
is this in cambridge
FrankieTWright
Rep:
?
(Original post by karl pilkington)
is this in cambridge
Yea
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jack22031994)
As ive never heard of it, Im going to say no. Getting good A-level results will be better
It's a Sixth Form College in Cambridge. Has amongst the highest number of Oxbridge offer holders each year of any school, including private schools.

However here's what Cambridge itself says about it, and schools like it
https://www.cao.cam.ac.uk/behind-the...s-and-colleges

Posted from TSR Mobile
darksaw3
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's only successful because all the lecturers and all the other workers send their kids there
CatherineJones23
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm a current Y12 student at Hills and I think that although you have to work hard regardless to get into Oxbridge, Hills does open some more opportunities for strengthening your uni application, such as participating in Olympiad competitions, inviting speakers in weekly to talk about various subject topics, compulsory EPQ, educational trips etc. I believe you get a lot of help in Y13 for uni applications too, but I can't guarantee that.
Make sure you are doing the subjects you enjoy the most, or are most excited for, even if your combination is weaker in terms of uni applications, or your motivation will seriously drop. Hills doesn't make it easy for you (at least in maths and science), you'll seriously need to work your socks off throughout the year in order to keep up an A/B grade, but then the actual exams are a bit easier in the end due to the harder material you're set in homework and class.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (45)
5.89%
Uncertainty around my education (88)
11.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (80)
10.47%
Lack of purpose or motivation (98)
12.83%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
5.24%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (43)
5.63%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (83)
10.86%
Financial worries (51)
6.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (33)
4.32%
Exposure to negative news/social media (48)
6.28%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.14%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (72)
9.42%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (59)
7.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed