rebeccael28
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I will be having an 18th this year and I am one of the oldest in my year..so people can't be getting drink at 17.
However I've been told if it's a private venue then people can get served no matter their age...is this true?

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2488767
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rebeccael28)
I will be having an 18th this year and I am one of the oldest in my year..so people can't be getting drink at 17.
However I've been told if it's a private venue then people can get served no matter their age...is this true?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is legal for those aged over 5 to drink on private property (so at someone's house). However, if you're hiring somewhere out, they will be committing a criminal offence by serving those under 18 and anyone who appears to be under 25 without ID. A lot of places do serve anyone regardless as it gets tedious to check for ID every time, especially when some are of age and some aren't. They may be lenient but don't be surprised if they ID and refuse to serve as they risk losing their alcohol license otherwise. Also, they are supposed to stop serving people who they believe to be "too drunk" so even ID doesn't guarantee you service towards the end of the night if you're asking for a 5th vodka shot.
rebeccael28
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by greghayes)
It is legal for those aged over 5 to drink on private property (so at someone's house). However, if you're hiring somewhere out, they will be committing a criminal offence by serving those under 18 and anyone who appears to be under 25 without ID. A lot of places do serve anyone regardless as it gets tedious to check for ID every time, especially when some are of age and some aren't. They may be lenient but don't be surprised if they ID and refuse to serve as they risk losing their alcohol license otherwise. Also, they are supposed to stop serving people who they believe to be "too drunk" so even ID doesn't guarantee you service towards the end of the night if you're asking for a 5th vodka shot.
Even if it's a private venue and my parents are like best friends with the owners?

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2488767
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rebeccael28)
Even if it's a private venue and my parents are like best friends with the owners?

Posted from TSR Mobile
They're still bound by the law. In theory, they should not legally serve anyone under 18 or those without ID. However, some places are more lenient in reality and the police will never know so long as no one reports them. Heck I have almost been refused service even with a real ID just because so many people were using obvious fakes that she thought mine was as well (but it's 100% genuine so sorry bar lady!).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (14)
5.88%
Uncertainty around my education (27)
11.34%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (28)
11.76%
Lack of purpose or motivation (36)
15.13%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (14)
5.88%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (7)
2.94%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (22)
9.24%
Financial worries (15)
6.3%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (7)
2.94%
Exposure to negative news/social media (16)
6.72%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
2.52%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (29)
12.18%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (17)
7.14%

Watched Threads