English 9-1 GCSE

Watch this thread
rrz7
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Im doing the OCR english 9-1 GCSE, its closed book for literature and I literally do not understand how to structure anything, im doing Romeo and Juliet and Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde. Im terrible at English, i got a 6 in my mocks, I prefer maths and the sciences, any tips?
Lucky10
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rrz7)
Im doing the OCR english 9-1 GCSE, its closed book for literature and I literally do not understand how to structure anything, im doing Romeo and Juliet and Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde. Im terrible at English, i got a 6 in my mocks, I prefer maths and the sciences, any tips?
Have a look at past papers, ask your teacher for a mark scheme it will show you how to structure an answer. Lit requires embedded quotes look at that and build around that
dx31
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I'm doing OCR as well!! What anthology are you doing?
Zxrxh
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rrz7)
a 6 is not bad at all, im sure you will get a 7 in the real thing
rrz7
Rep:
(Original post by Zxrxh)
a 6 is not bad at all, im sure you will get a 7 in the real thing
thanks hopefully but im kinda worried that I will mess up, because there is no answer for English so its harder to revise for, theres no set mark scheme or anything which makes it like ten times harder for me xD
mistyneko
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I don't know if this will help, but i structure my essays as introduction, two paragraphs about the extract, three about the rest of the novel/play and then a conclusion. If you are short on time then try to make it two paragraphs about the extract and two about the book . Always try to make sure you have a conclusion and an introduction. In your introduction, write about the theme of your essay and what part it plays in the novel/play, and about its importance. For example, if your essay is to explore the idea of duality of human nature in Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde then you could talk about how this is a prominent and key theme throughout the novel and how Stevenson centres the novel around this idea in order to highlight to the reader the idea that man has both a good and evil side.
I'm not sure if i was of an help to you , but I hope i was.
Also, good luck on your exam
Hannahpattle
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
A 6 is good! That's my average target grade... want to know what a pass is I've been told it's a 4.
rrz7
Rep:
(Original post by dx31)
I'm doing OCR as well!! What anthology are you doing?
im doing conflict for poetry, i really dont like english though
rrz7
Rep:
(Original post by Hannahpattle)
A 6 is good! That's my average target grade... want to know what a pass is I've been told it's a 4.
I know but I want at least a 7 because i have to take my results to sixth forms on results day and I want to have high results so they are more likely to accept me as i didnt apply in January :/
rrz7
Rep:
(Original post by mistyneko)
I don't know if this will help, but i structure my essays as introduction, two paragraphs about the extract, three about the rest of the novel/play and then a conclusion. If you are short on time then try to make it two paragraphs about the extract and two about the book . Always try to make sure you have a conclusion and an introduction. In your introduction, write about the theme of your essay and what part it plays in the novel/play, and about its importance. For example, if your essay is to explore the idea of duality of human nature in Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde then you could talk about how this is a prominent and key theme throughout the novel and how Stevenson centres the novel around this idea in order to highlight to the reader the idea that man has both a good and evil side.
I'm not sure if i was of an help to you , but I hope i was.
Also, good luck on your exam
oh thank you
i will use that structure, but the problem is, is that we have to memorise all the quotes :/
mistyneko
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Yeahh i know, just go through both the play and book and underline any quotes you think are useful, then try to narrow them down to about two or three words and then you can just paraphrase the rest, for example "sordid negligence", "transcendental medicine" , "neither bell nor knocker". I am also doing the 9-1 GCSE but with AQA not OCR.
rrz7
Rep:
Yeahh i know, just go through both the play and book and underline any quotes you think are useful, then try to narrow them down to about two or three words and then you can just paraphrase the rest, for example "sordid negligence", "transcendental medicine" , "neither bell nor knocker". I am also doing the 9-1 GCSE but with AQA not OCR.
yeah most of the country did AQA but my school, being clever as always chose to do OCR which only 3 percent of the country did, so i dont see grade boundaries changing that much for OCR, but they should lower for AQA based on the large percentage of students probably with different ranges of scores...
mistyneko
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Oh no! Does that mean that you need more marks than those doing the AQA papers to pass?
rrz7
Rep:
Oh no! Does that mean that you need more marks than those doing the AQA papers to pass?
it might do, depends on how the whole country does
AmandaJnM
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
A 4 has been verified as a pass for colleges. So if you get a 4 it's fine! When analysing novels and books - you need to include plenty of quotations from the text in order to back up your opinions!
For example, if you say 'Jeckyll is presented as a more human character trying to fight off Hyde... This is highlighted from (insert quote here) this emphasises that Hyde is.. etc etc.'
You just need to use the quotes as much as you can in order to develop your point, but I'm sure you'll do great; if you're getting a 6 in your mocks you could definitely get a 7 in the actual exam!
rrz7
Rep:
(Original post by AmandaJnM)
A 4 has been verified as a pass for colleges. So if you get a 4 it's fine! When analysing novels and books - you need to include plenty of quotations from the text in order to back up your opinions!
For example, if you say 'Jeckyll is presented as a more human character trying to fight off Hyde... This is highlighted from (insert quote here) this emphasises that Hyde is.. etc etc.'
You just need to use the quotes as much as you can in order to develop your point, but I'm sure you'll do great; if you're getting a 6 in your mocks you could definitely get a 7 in the actual exam!
thanks now time to revise :/
AmandaJnM
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rrz7)
thanks now time to revise :/
You're welcome, and same here!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (19)
17.76%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (38)
35.51%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (6)
5.61%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
1.87%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (10)
9.35%
Reading articles about what steps to take (20)
18.69%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (5)
4.67%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
6.54%

Watched Threads