?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
what is the difference between cone volcanoes and shield volcanoes
Vikingninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Type of lava that is released, gradient of slopes due to the type (shield volcanoes are more shallow and wider) and I believe layers of cone volcanoes were made of ash and cooled down lava (alternating layers).
Hopson97
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The obvious difference is the shape.

Cone volcanos are shaped like a tall, cone-like structure. Think of a picture a child would draw if you told them to draw a volcano.

Shield volcanos are much flatter.

Another difference is lava-type.

Cone volcanos have very viscous lava, which means it runs down the volcano's slope very fast and doesn't have much time to settle and cool, hence the cone shape.

In contrast, the shield volcano erupts very gloopy lava, which doesn't move fast, and so when it cools, the volcano gets a much shallower slope.

Also, the erupt differently. (In general)

Cone volcanos tend to erupt very infrequently (every few 100 years or so, some cases are much more frequent, such as Mount Etna in Italy, which seems to strangely erupt every year or so), and their eruptions are much more explosive and destructive (see the eruption of Mount Pinatubo or Mount St. Helen's).

Shield volcanos pretty much are expelling lava 24/7

Example volcanos:

Shield -> mauna loa
Vikingninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Hopson97)
The obvious difference is the shape.

Cone volcanos are shaped like a tall, cone-like structure. Think of a picture a child would draw if you told them to draw a volcano.

Shield volcanos are much flatter.

Another difference is lava-type.

Cone volcanos have very viscous lava, which means it runs down the volcano's slope very fast and doesn't have much time to settle and cool, hence the cone shape.

In contrast, the shield volcano erupts very gloopy lava, which doesn't move fast, and so when it cools, the volcano gets a much shallower slope.

Also, the erupt differently. (In general)

Cone volcanos tend to erupt very infrequently (every few 100 years or so, some cases are much more frequent, such as Mount Etna in Italy, which seems to strangely erupt every year or so), and their eruptions are much more explosive and destructive (see the eruption of Mount Pinatubo or Mount St. Helen's).

Shield volcanos pretty much are expelling lava 24/7

Example volcanos:

Shield -> mauna loa
To add with the cone volcano eruptions there were more solid releases like ash and solid rocks, because of how lava flowed and cooled then ash fell the structure of a cone volcano had alternating layers of cooled lava and ash.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (17)
13.08%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (31)
23.85%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (58)
44.62%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (20)
15.38%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
3.08%

Watched Threads