The Student Room Group

I'm unemployable?

Hi,
So recently I have been applying for a number of part time retail jobs. So far I've been to about 5 interviews, all of which I have been unsuccessful. I really don't know where I went wrong, I'm enthusiastic, I back my skills up with examples but yet I feel like those who seem less bothered get the job. Feedback I get is 'there was simply a stronger candidate)
This worries me because I'm thinking well they like me on paper but as a person employers really don't like me so what is wrong with me. It also worries me because what if I can't get a professional job after my degree (a nurse)?

Any word of advice?
Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by SammKAY
Hi,
So recently I have been applying for a number of part time retail jobs. So far I've been to about 5 interviews, all of which I have been unsuccessful. I really don't know where I went wrong, I'm enthusiastic, I back my skills up with examples but yet I feel like those who seem less bothered get the job. Feedback I get is 'there was simply a stronger candidate)
This worries me because I'm thinking well they like me on paper but as a person employers really don't like me so what is wrong with me. It also worries me because what if I can't get a professional job after my degree (a nurse)?

Any word of advice?
Thank you

What's your work experience like? It's fine that you are using examples but are they relevant examples for relevant skills (i.e. for the role you are applying to)? The STAR format is definitely useful in competency based questions. You probably just need to work on your interview technique. Being enthusiastic isn't enough if you're not really selling yourself to the best of your abilities.

Here's how you can use the STAR format to answer competency based questions.
https://www.theguardian.com/careers/careers-blog/star-technique-competency-based-interview

Check out this youtube channel by The Interview Guys, it helped me in interviews. Watch a few videos and then practice with a friend or a family member, but remember don't sound rehearsed.
https://www.youtube.com/user/The2InterviewGuys

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending