The Student Room Group

Can I get on an earlier train?

I'm heading home in a few weeks and bought and advanced ticket which leaves pretty late in the day.

My friend and I were thinking of going to London for the day and seeing as my train stops there anyway I would but it says I can't change it without paying the difference and admin fee and trains are really expensive.

So I'm thinking of just getting on an early one anyway so I can hang out in London but obviously don't want to get caught. Wondering if anyone as done this before and what happened. Did you get a fine or did the conductor not care?

Travelling with East Midlands from Sheffield to London if that makes a difference.
Original post by ILikePasta
I'm heading home in a few weeks and bought and advanced ticket which leaves pretty late in the day.

My friend and I were thinking of going to London for the day and seeing as my train stops there anyway I would but it says I can't change it without paying the difference and admin fee and trains are really expensive.

So I'm thinking of just getting on an early one anyway so I can hang out in London but obviously don't want to get caught. Wondering if anyone as done this before and what happened. Did you get a fine or did the conductor not care?

Travelling with East Midlands from Sheffield to London if that makes a difference.

You book the journey, not the time of the train. As long as you don't plan on getting on the first train before 09:30 (peak time) the it doesn't matter. When you book the ticket online it just assumes the journey time you selected is the one you'll embark on, but it doesn't matter as long as it's still in off-peak time.
Original post by Glassapple
You book the journey, not the time of the train. As long as you don't plan on getting on the first train before 09:30 (peak time) the it doesn't matter. When you book the ticket online it just assumes the journey time you selected is the one you'll embark on, but it doesn't matter as long as it's still in off-peak time.

see that makes sense but the T's&C's say otherwise. I'll just do it and try to win the conductor over if he says anything
see that makes sense but the T's&C's say otherwise. I'll just do it and try to win the conductor over if he says anything

The time of the journey you booked isn't actually printed anywhere on the the ticket, so the conductor won't know anything at all.
Reply 4

see if you can get a megabus from sheffield to London, most likely you can get it for £8 or less if they run megabus from sheffield [im not sure]

tbh it's risky if you try get even the earliest train because by time it reaches london inspectors may be up and about.

it might be worth risking if it is like a saturday or sunday early 5:30am train, as lets face it, few commuters will be around, so less incentive to deploy inspectors, plus it's a weekend.

but you're chancing it a bit if you try this during to week.

Also if you haven't got the right ticket you won't be able to get past the barriers in London. You will need local knowledge of which train stations do not have barriers, and you will need to plan your route to them.

imo, just fork out the extra 8 quid for a megabus and try get a refund on your train ticket...
Original post by ANM775
see if you can get a megabus from sheffield to London, most likely you can get it for £8 or less if they run megabus from sheffield [im not sure]

tbh it's risky if you try get even the earliest train because by time it reaches london inspectors may be up and about.

it might be worth risking if it is like a saturday or sunday early 5:30am train, as lets face it, few commuters will be around, so less incentive to deploy inspectors, plus it's a weekend.

Also if you haven't got the right ticket you won't be able to get past the barriers in London. You will need local knowledge of which train stations do not have barriers, and you will need to plan your route to them.

imo, just fork out the extra 8 quid for a megabus and try get a refund on your train ticket...

Considering the time of the journey booked on the website won't actually printed anywhere on the train ticket, it doesn't matter when they go as long as it's not before 09:30 at peak time (the barriers won't let them through). The conductor won't know anything because an off-peak ticket is valid at any off-peak time and the barriers will let them through.
The time of the journey you booked isn't actually printed anywhere on the the ticket, so the conductor won't know anything at all.

If it's an Advance ticket, there will be a time specified. If caught, you'll be made to buy another ticket and at worst, pay a penalty fine.
Original post by ANM775

yeah but it takes 2 hours longer on a megabus
Original post by hezzlington
If it's an Advance ticket, there will be a time specified. If caught, you'll be made to buy another ticket and at worst, pay a penalty fine.

Then they should change the time of the journey, as stated here: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46583.aspx

I very much doubt any conductor will actually care anyway, they're still travelling on the same day.
Reply 9
Original post by hezzlington

when I buy advance train tickets to London I notice it has the time specified too...
Then they should change the time of the journey, as stated here: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46583.aspx

I very much doubt any conductor will actually care anyway, they're still travelling on the same day.

They absolutely will care.

Changing the train time costs £10 - 15, I can't remember?
Reply 11
yeah but it takes 2 hours longer on a megabus

True, but looks like you're running out of Options here..

I've taken the megabus from London to Manchester before many times. Kinda sucks a bit on the time length, but you save a lot of money compared to train....
The conductor will definitely care, and the likelihood is that you would be forced to pay a new ticket for that journey (which on the day, from Sheffield to London St. Pancras you're probably looking at £70-£100). In the worst case scenario, you'll also be given a penalty fare.

Having checked the East Midlands Train website, Sheffield is classed as a 'penalty fare station', so you would be required to pay the penalty fare, which for East Midlands Trains, is defined as:

"The Penalty Fare is £20 or double the single Anytime fare to the next station stop whichever is the greater amount."

Things to note:

- You can't make changes to the journey on-board the train. Therefore if you wish to change the time of your Advance Ticket then you'd need to do so before your first journey.

- If you do change the time of your ticket, you'll be liable to pay any difference between the cost of your original Advance Ticket and the new ticket that you are purchasing (the route cannot be changed). There is also a £10 admin fee per ticket change.

=====

TL;DR - Don't risk it.

Quick Reply

Latest