Why can't I play YouTube in the background on iPad any more? Watch

username2911200
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have the latest iOS update on my iPad Pro. I used to be able to play a YouTube video and browse other tabs with the video still playing in the background so I could listen to it, which doesn't work any more. It just pauses whenever I open a new tab; I've tried Safari, Chrome and Firefox and they all do the same thing.

This is incredibly frustrating and I don't see why it isn't working. I can't even do the trick of swiping up and clicking play from the menu bar, as whenever I try that it instantly switches to playing the last played song from my music library.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Glassapple)
I have the latest iOS update on my iPad Pro. I used to be able to play a YouTube video and browse other tabs with the video still playing in the background so I could listen to it, which doesn't work any more. It just pauses whenever I open a new tab; I've tried Safari, Chrome and Firefox and they all do the same thing.

This is incredibly frustrating and I don't see why it isn't working. I can't even do the trick of swiping up and clicking play from the menu bar, as whenever I try that it instantly switches to playing the last played song from my music library.
I have that problem on my iPhone, doesn't appear to be a way round it
Meany Pie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It is done on purpose to stop you using it as a free music app.

The only way around it is to pay for YouTube Red.
username2911200
Rep:
?
(Original post by Meany Pie)
It is done on purpose to stop you using it as a free music app.

The only way around it is to pay for YouTube Red.
I'm happy to pay for YouTube Red, does this solve the problem completely?
Meany Pie
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm happy to pay for YouTube Red, does this solve the problem completely?
It should do.

https://support.google.com/youtube/a...08116?hl=en-GB
username2911200
Rep:
?
I tried to sign up and it's not available in the UK They just make it so hard for themselves; I'm willing to give them money but of course they haven't sorted out their liscencing issues.
Meany Pie
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I tried to sign up and it's not available in the UK They just make it so hard for themselves; I'm willing to give them money but of course they haven't sorted out their liscencing issues.
Why don't you sign up to Spotify or another streaming service if you are just using it for music.
username2911200
Rep:
?
Why don't you sign up to Spotify or another streaming service if you are just using it for music.
I'm not using it for music, I was using it to listen to video game playthroughs in the background while browsing the internet. I'll have to use two devices to do this from now on, annoyingly enough. I already have an Apple Music subscription if I want to do this for music.
Meany Pie
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm not using it for music, I was using it to listen to video game playthroughs in the background while browsing the internet. I'll have to use two devices to do this from now on, annoyingly enough. I already have an Apple Music subscription if I want to do this for music.
Use Twitch?
username2911200
Rep:
?
Use Twitch?
It's a nice idea for when my subscriptions are streaming, but I mostly listen to recorded and uploaded randomised Pokemon playthroughs on YouTube.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (67)
9.9%
No I am happy with my course choice (383)
56.57%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.18%

Watched Threads