The Student Room Group

Not enjoying my apprenticeship.

So I started an electrician apprenticeship in October (Im 20, UK) I was previously doing Steel Erecting but broke my collarbone which lead to me not being able to continue doing it, I would maybe want to go back to it as its run in my family, but id most likely have to do an apprenticeship for that aswell I think and it is very bad in the winter. Last year I worked at a golf club restaurant/bar and it was so good was well paid for what it was, there was no stress ever I had a couple days off every week life was really easy and enjoyable. With this apprentice I am doing right now Im just not sure its for me I go to college every 4 weeks for 4 weeks which isnt very fun there is a lot of Physics & maths involved which I can most definitely say is not my strong point i never did it in school a lot so Im clueless at this really, there is stuff to be handed in every few days which is so stressful and its only going to get harder. im a good practical worker, but every day I just dread going to work and not sure I want this for the next 4+ years, It is an amazingly well paid job if i get qualified at the end of the 4 years but I dont know if I can last that, I want to do it to make my family and gf proud but I dont know if its worth it, Im not enjoying life really and surely its more important to do something that makes me happy and drives me to work, But i have no idea what I would do? im a pretty sport person and love football but doesnt really help. Last year just working in the golf club was so nice and stressfree but I cant just do that forever.. I just thought id post this to see what people think, its a big post but there we go,

Thank you.
Reply 1
Sounds like you're at the age where you just need to make a decision on what you want to do in the short term, there's nothing wrong with changing careers later.

Are you able to do the work, even if it is difficult? Or are you failing things? With most apprenticeships, a pass is sufficient.

I have two bits of advice.

1. Stick it out, at least until you find something as an alternative. At least you're getting paid at the moment, it's better than nothing.

2. Don't centre align text! It's horrible to read at the best of times, let alone when you've written block text with no line breaks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending