Wanting to start a new society Watch

Resperize
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey,

I've been wanting to start my own society for a while now and i've been trying to come up with some ideas.

I have an interest in entrepreneurship, innovation and business. Therefore, i thought of some sort of 'Medical Entrepreneurship Society' which bridges the gap between medicine and business. It will be aimed at those who have an interest in medicine and/or IT. This does not have to be strictly for medical students, it can be from any discipline, including business, biomed etc.

I have some connections with people who are successful in the field and maybe I could arrange for them to come and give talks. Maybe even give students the opportunity to present their ideas to people in the field. The society will aim to give these students a voice, so that they can be heard.

However, I do not have a lot of knowledge on how a society is run. I do have friends who were presidents of societies, e.g. MedSoc so they may be able to guide me. I wanted to see what people on TSR thought about it.. do you think it is possible? Anything I should consider or improve upon?

Thanks for any responses
Resperize
Rep:
?
Bump
CTLeafez
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I recently formed a society at my University. At my uni, I had to find at least 10 people willing to commit to the society and a committee (President, secretary, treasurer) before we could be officially recognised by the SU.

Have you spitballed the idea with your friends/potential members. That way you may get some ideas which are more tailored towards your uni and it's location.
Resperize
Rep:
?
(Original post by CTLevers)
I recently formed a society at my University. At my uni, I had to find at least 10 people willing to commit to the society and a committee (President, secretary, treasurer) before we could be officially recognised by the SU.

Have you spitballed the idea with your friends/potential members. That way you may get some ideas which are more tailored towards your uni and it's location.
I have a few friends who vouch for the idea but i will deffo let more people know and see what they think.
CTLeafez
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Resperize)
I have a few friends who vouch for the idea but i will deffo let more people know and see what they think.
Always a good start, have you got a catchy name for your potential society?
Mine is called The Order of the Helix; it's a biological society
Resperize
Rep:
?
(Original post by CTLevers)
Always a good start, have you got a catchy name for your potential society?
Mine is called The Order of the Helix; it's a biological society
Medical Entrepreneurship Society, at the moment. I like to keep it simple lol. What year are you in btw?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (159)
18.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (84)
9.84%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (142)
16.63%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (122)
14.29%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (82)
9.6%
How can I be the best version of myself? (265)
31.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed