The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Low-ranking uni - Is an Oxbridge application realistic?

Hello,

Apologies if this is not the right place to submit this enquiry- I have no idea what I am doing with this website!

I attended a (very) low-ranking university and graduated with a first. I am now at a mid-ranking university studying for an MA and am hoping to graduate with a distinction. Would it be realistic to apply to Oxbridge for a PhD despite the ranking of my university? I realise that superficially all degrees are considered equal, but considering that my university really was bottom of the league tables, would this reflect negatively on my first?

I'd really appreciate any help, thanks!
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think it's something they'll consider but there are a host of other factors like relevant work experience and you'll most likely have to submit a sample of your work. Without knowing the specific universities it'd be hard to say how much of an impact that'll have. Just as a disclaimer I didn't study at Oxbridge, my master's application was approved but I chose not to study the course so there'll be people on here with a better idea than me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by Underscore__
I think it's something they'll consider but there are a host of other factors like relevant work experience and you'll most likely have to submit a sample of your work. Without knowing the specific universities it'd be hard to say how much of an impact that'll have. Just as a disclaimer I didn't study at Oxbridge, my master's application was approved but I chose not to study the course so there'll be people on here with a better idea than me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the response! My original uni is currently a rather tragic 105/129 in the league tables if that gives you any indication of the level I'm talking about here.
Original post by TAU_123
Hello,

Apologies if this is not the right place to submit this enquiry- I have no idea what I am doing with this website!

I attended a (very) low-ranking university and graduated with a first. I am now at a mid-ranking university studying for an MA and am hoping to graduate with a distinction. Would it be realistic to apply to Oxbridge for a PhD despite the ranking of my university? I realise that superficially all degrees are considered equal, but considering that my university really was bottom of the league tables, would this reflect negatively on my first?

whatever anyone says, you'll never know unless you give it a go :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by TAU_123
Hello,

They'll definitely consider you. I got a PhD offer whilst my previous uni was not even in the world rankings.

It might be more challenging for funding though.
Original post by Josb
They'll definitely consider you. I got a PhD offer whilst my previous uni was not even in the world rankings.

It might be more challenging for funding though.

Hi, thanks for the response! I thought I should clarify, my old uni is in that position in the UK rankings, certainly not the world rankings! Is funding based on prestige of university? Thanks again.
Original post by ozilll
whatever anyone says, you'll never know unless you give it a go :smile:

Great point, thank you! :biggrin:
Go for it!! Also it shows hard work and determination when they look at your application and see you going through the rankings per se, as you show progression. Deffos apply! :smile:
Definitely apply! I am the first student of my recently-founded University that has an offer for Cambridge, so it doesn't matter as long as you make a good application.
Original post by TAU_123
Thanks for the response! My original uni is currently a rather tragic 105/129 in the league tables if that gives you any indication of the level I'm talking about here.

My advice is not to get all hung up about league tables. Any university which might make you an offer for graduate study is totally and entirely uninterested in this stuff - they're interested in your capability and potential for research, that's all.
Reply 10
Original post by TAU_123
Hi, thanks for the response! I thought I should clarify, my old uni is in that position in the UK rankings, certainly not the world rankings! Is funding based on prestige of university? Thanks again.

No, funding isn't based on prestige, but it might count a bit. The most important thing is the research proposal, recommendations, grades, past research papers, etc.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/masters_applications_2

Not PhDs, but it is interesting to see that the vast majority of universities are represented. This includes London Met, Bedfordshire and various other poorly ranked universities. At worst, you lose only a little time and a little money by having a go :dontknow:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by igcsecrazy
Go for it!! Also it shows hard work and determination when they look at your application and see you going through the rankings per se, as you show progression. Deffos apply! :smile:

Thanks! I didn't think of it from that perspective, I really appreciate it :smile:
Original post by capplicant
Definitely apply! I am the first student of my recently-founded University that has an offer for Cambridge, so it doesn't matter as long as you make a good application.

Thank you! Congratulations on the offer!
Original post by Reality Check
My advice is not to get all hung up about league tables. Any university which might make you an offer for graduate study is totally and entirely uninterested in this stuff - they're interested in your capability and potential for research, that's all.

That's a very fair point, thank you for the response :smile:
Original post by Josb
No, funding isn't based on prestige, but it might count a bit. The most important thing is the research proposal, recommendations, grades, past research papers, etc.

Do you know if you have to submit dissertations etc as submitted to your university? Or if you are able to make necessary improvements before you present them to a board for consideration? Thanks!
Original post by ByronicHero
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/masters_applications_2

Not PhDs, but it is interesting to see that the vast majority of universities are represented. This includes London Met, Bedfordshire and various other poorly ranked universities. At worst, you lose only a little time and a little money by having a go :dontknow:

Oh wow, that's really useful, thank you very much! 10 people from my university ended up there last year, apparently. That's very encouraging.
Reply 17
Original post by TAU_123
Do you know if you have to submit dissertations etc as submitted to your university? Or if you are able to make necessary improvements before you present them to a board for consideration? Thanks!

Yes, you have to submit a writing sample. ou can obviously correct mistakes and typos.
Original post by Josb
Yes, you have to submit a writing sample. ou can obviously correct mistakes and typos.

Can it be quite thoroughly edited for content? Or does it have to be the same piece as it was when it was submitted? Thanks again for the help!
Original post by TAU_123
Can it be quite thoroughly edited for content? Or does it have to be the same piece as it was when it was submitted? Thanks again for the help!

I wrote a completely new piece for my application

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending