The Student Room Group

Chemistry Question Help

Hi! So I've been doing an assignment for sixth-form and I didn't know how to answer this one question.

It's asking why [Fe(H2O)6]3+ is pale, and I have no idea how to answer it haha. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm not having much luck on google either.

:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by sophiestreet
Hi! So I've been doing an assignment for sixth-form and I didn't know how to answer this one question.

It's asking why [Fe(H2O)6]3+ is pale, and I have no idea how to answer it haha. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm not having much luck on google either.

:smile:

Think about the oxidation state of Iron in the complex
When ligands form around the iron complex the 3d orbital is spilt into two frequencies is the 3d orbital is not full them the electrons can jump to higher energy levels (they normally sit on lower ones) when they jump to the higher energy levels they absorb light and the colour of the light depends on the frequency the electron has jumped. When light is absorbed simultaneously light is reflected. If blue light is absorbed then all the light reflected comes together to make a yellow colour shown in the solution (this would be cream in this case)

Hoped this helped!

Quick Reply

Latest