ninauk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi
I am a mature doing thinking to be a vet but I have been informed with Vet medicine there are lots of nights. I would be grateful if someone can clarify this for me please....
Does the nights start while you are a student, if so the frequencies.
I am a type 1 diabetic and nights shifts will definitely throw me off so this will be a major deciding factor for me.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Nina
E102
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
When I volunteered in a vet practice the vets had to be on call all night for one day a week attending an emergency call outs. I'm not sure if you would have to do it as a student but I would assume so in your last year while shadowing
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ninauk)
Hi
I am a mature doing thinking to be a vet but I have been informed with Vet medicine there are lots of nights. I would be grateful if someone can clarify this for me please....
Does the nights start while you are a student, if so the frequencies.
I am a type 1 diabetic and nights shifts will definitely throw me off so this will be a major deciding factor for me.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Nina
As a student you will have to do some nights working on farms such as lambing. As a vet student you will have to do some nights as part of your final year rotation. As a vet, it depends on the practice on which you work and the type of work. Farm and equine - you will do nights and weekends. Small animal varies a bit - some practices have no OOH, some have a rota similar to farm and equine.

I don't think nights should be a major factor for you, I know 4 type 1 diabetics working as vets; one in farm, one in equine and two in small animal. All cope perfectly fine and really enjoy their work
SilverstarDJ
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How many nights depends on your university etc.

On placements, as mentioned before, you will most likely have to do some night or unsociable hours.

As a vet student at Liverpool, during the last 2 years on rotations we worked nights in the equine hospital where you HAD to attend inpatients and be on site all of the time (7 days of 15-16 hour shifts - you could sleep some of the shift though) and also in the small animal hospital (7 days of 8 hour shifts which varied to cover the whole night between you). On farm animal rotations you had to come in to attend inpatients or be on call on top of your normal day shift (on a rota basis) for one week ie if an inpatient required medications at 2am you would have to come in. You can't not to night shifts at all or else you won't pass the degree (but if you have specific concerns then they might be able to make some adjustments etc for you to help you)

When I was applying for jobs as a vet, out of around 10 jobs I applied for (1 mixed but 90% small and 9 small animal only) only 1 had no OOH! This might improve in the near future but at the moment the majority of my friends to on call work.

Hope this helps. I know lots of people complete the degree with various health problems so hope it will be ok for you too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (113)
40.65%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (29)
10.43%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (21)
7.55%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (64)
23.02%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (32)
11.51%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.83%

Watched Threads