The impact GCSE's have on students mental health Watch

This discussion is closed.
lla1234
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am conducting a research assignment on the impact GCSE's have on students mental health. This can be anything from feeling down to being diagnosed with any mental health related illness. I would really appreciate any personal experiences or views that GCSE students have.

-I understand this is a very sensitive topic so feel free to post anonymously.

Thank you
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Are you kidding?! GCSE nowadays are so easy compared to 50 years ago, even some A Levels are easier than their GCE O Level counterparts from 1966!
Add to the fact that a 12 year old from an eastern country could pass the GCSE Biology Unit 1 paper with an A*. Surely this country has NO right to be complaining.
Kyx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lla1234)
I am conducting a research assignment on the impact GCSE's have on students mental health. This can be anything from feeling down to being diagnosed with any mental health related illness. I would really appreciate any personal experiences or views that GCSE students have.

-I understand this is a very sensitive topic so feel free to message responses privately, everything will be anonymous.

Thank you
GCSEs impacting mental health :toofunny:

GCSEs are waaaaaaaaaaaay too easy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cat_ion
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I struggled with my mental health during my GCSEs, although I didn't realise it at the time. I had serious problems concentrating hard enough to learn the content for my exams and a tendency to put off things until the last minute, which led me to get lower grades than predicted in my mocks, and anxiety when I wanted to revise however got distracted all the time. I've recently learn that this may have been caused by ADD (attention deficit disorder) however at the time didn't know anything about this. This also had a serious social impact as I felt like my teachers and parents were let down by my mock grades, and that my peers did better, which let to fairly low self esteem.

Thankfully I ended up getting good results in my actual GCSEs by doing countless past paper, but the journey getting there was pretty tough due to my mental health ^-^
lla1234
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by HollieGreenwood)
I struggled with my mental health during my GCSEs, although I didn't realise it at the time. I had serious problems concentrating hard enough to learn the content for my exams and a tendency to put off things until the last minute, which led me to get lower grades than predicted in my mocks, and anxiety when I wanted to revise however got distracted all the time. I've recently learn that this may have been caused by ADD (attention deficit disorder) however at the time didn't know anything about this. This also had a serious social impact as I felt like my teachers and parents were let down by my mock grades, and that my peers did better, which let to fairly low self esteem.

Thankfully I ended up getting good results in my actual GCSEs by doing countless past paper, but the journey getting there was pretty tough due to my mental health ^-^
This is really useful Hollie, thank you! I am glad to hear you still did well in your GCSE's.
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
did my gcses almost 2 years ago and i have never experienced any mental health issues or stress during that time.
h.yasin
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Speaking as a GCSE student who is about to sit the new 9-1 exams, I'm freaking out. I go to a private day school and everyone is also freaking out. Although I have internalised my stress pretty well, I still am super stressed. My less put-together classmates are near to having a breakdown. MOSTLY over the 9-1 though.

Whether something is easy/difficult is subjective and those comments seem to be coming from people who have already done their GCSE's. How is a kid meant to know that their course is "easy" if they have never studied anything else? Food for thought.
Thelabtatpast
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I ended up stressing so much that I didn't get any revision done as I was always stressed out which I hated . I still got a least a C in all my GCSEs
bendio
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

-I understand this is a very sensitive topic so feel free to message responses privately, everything will be anonymous.

Thank you
I did my GCSEs last year and admittedly I did feel incredibly stressed during that time. Although looking back on it now I do realise that I completely overreacted and that my mind was making out GCSEs to be 100x worse than they actually were, I couldn't help but feel that way as I always had people around me telling me how important they were. I put myself under immense amounts of pressure, always worried about whether or not I had done enough and on a few occasions I ended up crying in the middle of class or an exam as I just felt like I couldn't do it. No matter how much I revised, I went into every exam feeling like I was going to fail and that there was no point in me even being there to do it.

Thankfully I had some great teachers that helped me get through it and ended up leaving with grades I was incredibly happy with. Now I'm doing A-levels and, yes, they are much harder than GCSEs, but I feel like my past experiences has taught me how to deal with all the stress and sitting exams
Karradio
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Thank you
I am doing my GCSE's in 2 weeks,
they are so so stressful it sucks all the life out of me.
they are no way as easy as they used to be, the coursework of my technology teacher ( who got an A on it ) would now be graded as a borderline C, the markings are harsh and Ive got no space for memory.
15 poems and 2 Plays, + quotes and the whole Chemistry + Biology + physics Spectrum? How am i supposed to know all of this in one little brain.
Kyx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am conducting a research assignment on the impact GCSE's* have on students** mental health. This can be anything from feeling down to being diagnosed with any mental health related illness. I would really appreciate any personal experiences or views that GCSE students have.

-I understand this is a very sensitive topic so feel free to post anonymously.

Thank you
The title should say: The impact GCSEs have on students' mental health

Also

*GCSEs
**students'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Popsiclez
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Exams are easy just look at the textbook make notes, practice papers.

The bit that gets me stressed is subjects like Art where there is an unreal amount of coursework which takes away all my time to revise for my actual subjects, its just manual labour, if I can draw and am good at Art give me an A* if not give me a U, idk why I need to explain every single nook cranny, and redraw thousands of apples and be told that my work isn't relevant unless it links to an artist and if it isn't tip top shape the examiners can just easily mark me down. Its just the amount of work you have to do is no joke, they need to reduce the amount of coursework we have to do in subjects. I'd be all for a 100% exam system just scrap all courseworl, also get rid of that dumb English rule where I have to memorise quotes and how I have to memorise every single formula.

Plus it doesn't help when schools don't give study leaves and I'm so drained from school that I barely even pick up a pencil afterschool. Like can we just get more support, instead of making things more harder for The Government's benefit rather than our own.

I just can't wait to burn everything and dump all this knowledge in the bin afterwards. The Education System in the UK SUCKS! Its literally a game about if what you write is what the examiners want to hear/is on the mark scheme. Who cares if I'm good at Art if it doesn't link to Georgia's O Keffee's work.

Learning is fun my ass.
BerniHurton
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
GCSE's a so effing easy. 6th form is where it gets hard, but bearable, uni is when you should really be asking this. GCSE's are the easiest, if you can't get through that, you have no hope.
AmeliaLost
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Popsiclez)
The bit that gets me stressed is subjects like Art where there is an unreal amount of coursework which takes away all my time to revise for my actual subjects, its just manual labour, if I can draw and am good at Art give me an A* if not give me a U, idk why I need to explain every single nook cranny, and redraw thousands of apples and be told that my work isn't relevant unless it links to an artist and if it isn't tip top shape the examiners can just easily mark me down. Its just the amount of work you have to do is no joke, they need to reduce the amount of coursework we have to do in subjects. I'd be all for a 100% exam system just scrap all courseworl, also get rid of that dumb English rule where I have to memorise quotes and how I have to memorise every single formula.
Art != being good at drawing is the problem. The coursework shows your thought process and depth of your communication, research etc
Popsiclez
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AmeliaLost)
Art != being good at drawing is the problem. The coursework shows your thought process and depth of your communication, research etc
Tbh I don't care anymore I just want to get out of this hell hole education crap and be able to sleep at night again.
JammieDodger27
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
People are stressed doing GCSEs?
froobi.doo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by HollieGreenwood)

I can relate 100% with what you put about in the first paragraph. Do you think I should do anything about it? my attention span is nothing and my concentration is really bad.
I've been told I'm going to fail and I should give up on some of my options.
On top of that I have a little anxiety, very low self esteem and confidence in myself and on top of that depression which I've had about a year but have only been diagnosed for 7 months and I receive counselling for it.
I am going to be sitting 19 exams for 6 subjects, if that puts it into a bit of perspective.
Kyx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JammieDodger27)
People are stressed doing GCSEs?
Ikr. How???!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
jennifugh
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think that GSCEs aren't the hardest and they do prepare you for further education. However if you add up multiple subjects with their own individual units that you have to study, it adds up and it does lead to a lot of stress. How am i supposed to remember everything? One thing that bothers me is that in my English Language GCSE exam next year, it is closed book meaning not only do i have to remember methods, contextual factors, narrative themes etc. for what I have studied, I have to remember the specific quotes. This is very hard to do, especially when you don't know what theme the question is going to be based on so having to memorise several quotes for each theme just in case. I know GCSEs are important but they test memory over knowledge in my opinion. However, I do believe there is increased help and support for GCSE pupils to prevent stress and make the experience as easy as possible.
Cat_ion
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by froobi.doo)
I can relate 100% with what you put about in the first paragraph. Do you think I should do anything about it? my attention span is nothing and my concentration is really bad.
I've been told I'm going to fail and I should give up on some of my options.
On top of that I have a little anxiety, very low self esteem and confidence in myself and on top of that depression which I've had about a year but have only been diagnosed for 7 months and I receive counselling for it.
I am going to be sitting 19 exams for 6 subjects, if that puts it into a bit of perspective.
I do think that if you can you should do something - could you talk to your school about it? My new sixth form school were the ones who noticed that something was wrong and recommended me to a psychologist is there any way you could see a psychologist privately? It's quicker than the NHS system (for which I didn't get a referral) and I feel much more comfortable now that I know something's being done to help ^-^ if you particularly struggle to focus and get a diagnosis of ADHD/ ADD an option is medication which I've heard is amazing in helping improving focus ^-^ I hope this helps a little

This is really useful Hollie, thank you! I am glad to hear you still did well in your GCSE's.
Glad it helps, it was a bit of a relief but it's definitely stuck in my mind ^-^
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads