Subgroups of a symmetric group

Watch this thread
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Got two questions on this that I can't seem to get my head around, then again maybe doing this with a headache isn't the best of scenarios :ninja:

First one is below. How do I go about getting the elements for part (c) ??

Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RDKGames)
Got two questions on this that I can't seem to get my head around, then again maybe doing this with a headache isn't the best of scenarios :ninja:

First one is below. How do I go about getting the elements for part (c) ??
It's just a cyclic subgroup, so keep calculating powers of \alpha till you reach \alpha^n = e for some (small) n. Then your subgroup is \{e,\alpha,\alpha^2 ,\ldots, \alpha^{n-1}\}.
RDKGames
Rep:
(Original post by Zacken)
It's just a cyclic subgroup, so keep calculating powers of \alpha till you reach \alpha^n = e for some (small) n. Then your subgroup is \{e,\alpha,\alpha^2 ,\ldots, \alpha^{n-1}\}.
Thanks, got it now

What about part (d) of this? How can I go about finding a subgroup here??
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Thanks, got it now

Well, what is Cayley's theorem (and what does the standard proof look like)? How might this relate to the rest of the question?
RichE
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Thanks, got it now

What was your answer to (c)? If no, do you know a group that G is isomorphic to?
RDKGames
Rep:
(Original post by RichE)
What was your answer to (c)?
I said that they are indeed a isomorphic as there exists a bijection \phi : G \rightarrow \mathbb{Z}_8 defined by the map below but I'm unsure if this can help in part (d) which I'm currently trying to follow from Cayley Th. proof.
RichE
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I said that there is indeed a bijection \phi : G \rightarrow \mathbb{Z}_8 defined by the map below but I'm unsure if this can help in part (d) which I'm currently trying to follow from Cayley Th. proof.
A bijection isn't immediately an isomorphism (and typically won't be). In any case finding an explicit isomorphism is probably unnecessary here. It would be enough to find an order 8 element in G. Did you consider the elements' orders?
RDKGames
Rep:
(Original post by RichE)
A bijection isn't immediately an isomorphism (and typically won't be). In any case finding an explicit isomorphism is probably unnecessary here. It would be enough to find an order 8 element in G. Did you consider the elements' orders?
I did not consider the orders. I don't think there is an order 8 element in G otherwise I've done part (b) wrong...

ord(1)= 1
ord(2)=ord(7)=ord(8)=ord(13)= 4
ord(4)=ord(11)=ord(13)= 2

and I can see the orders are different for \mathbb{Z}_8.
RichE
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I did not consider the orders. I don't think there is an order 8 element in G otherwise I've done part (b) wrong...

ord(1)= 1
ord(2)=ord(7)=ord(8)=ord(13)= 4
ord(4)=ord(11)=ord(13)= 2

and I can see the orders are different for \mathbb{Z}_8.
Correct - so you've shown G isn't isomorphic to Z_8. Can you tell what order 8 group it is isomorphic to?
RDKGames
Rep:
(Original post by RichE)
Correct - so you've shown G isn't isomorphic to Z_8. Can you tell what order 8 group it is isomorphic to?
No I cannot unfortunately

Also, I have followed Cayley's theorem, and so is it enough to say that if I use the mult. table's each row as a permutation \sigma_i \in S_8, then \{ \sigma_1, \sigma_2, ..., \sigma_8 \}=G' \subset S_8 is isomorphic to G ??
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Hint: If it's not C_8 then it's a direct product of (two, in this case) cyclic groups.
RichE
Rep:
Report 5 years ago

Also, I have followed Cayley's theorem, and so is it enough to say that if I use the mult. table's each row as a permutation \sigma_i \in S_8, then \{ \sigma_1, \sigma_2, ..., \sigma_8 \}=G' \subset S_8 is isomorphic to G ??
Sure, but that might give you a rather involved and opaque view of G's structure.

Do note that G is abelian.
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RichE)
Sure, but that might give you a rather involved and opaque view of G's structure.
I have to say that given the explicit mention of Cayley's theorem before I'd have assumed this is what they're actually after, although I agree with your point that in many ways it's not the most informative way of looking at things.

I do think that it's good to do an explicit "build an isomorphism using the methodology in Cayley's theorem" once (or even twice!). So I'm partly thinking this may be that one time...
RichE
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DFranklin)
I have to say that given the explicit mention of Cayley's theorem before I'd have assumed this is what they're actually after, although I agree with your point that in many ways it's not the most informative way of looking at things.

I do think that it's good to do an explicit "build an isomorphism using the methodology in Cayley's theorem" once (or even twice!). So I'm partly thinking this may be that one time...
Re-reading the question I'm fairly certain you're right, though I think my point stands that this isn't typically a helpful way into appreciating group structure (as you yourself say above) but most likely what is expected here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (23)
33.33%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (31)
44.93%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (14)
20.29%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.45%

Watched Threads