The Student Room Group

Do you suffer from dental anxiety?

Poll

Do you suffer from dental anxiety?

Anyone else here terrified of going to the dentist? I've got 2 appointments next week to get fillings done and then a dental op coming up in the summer and I am nervous already :colondollar:

What are your best tips for dealing with dental anxiety? I'm thinking of taking my headphones in to my appointments next week while I am getting my fillings done and listen to music or a funny TV show or something to distract me a bit. Thankfully for the op I'll be sedated at least :teehee:

Is your dentist understanding when it comes to your phobia/anxiety?
I suffer quite badly from dental anxiety and as a result haven't been in a few years. I am trying to rectify it by finding a new dentist and get an appointment asap. My old dentist was really good with me most of the time, I didn't tell him how anxious I was when I would visit though. I do want to find a new one as I kind of associate that place with anxiety, the last time I went I'd convinced myself I had cracked my tooth (googling is literally the worse thing you can do) and ended up having a panic attack before going in. It turned out it was just the enamel hadn't formed properly. I have been having some issues with my teeth recently which is driving me to find one. It's just hard to find an NHS dentist where I live so I'm having to look into going private. I might have to go back to my old dentist if I can't find one in the mean time. My university gave us a number to ring but the practice was in the next town with a very long waiting list (my flatmate said it was up to 8 months and I haven't heard back in 4 months). In terms of combating the anxiety, it does sometimes help me to have someone with me, although going alone can force me to make myself be brave. It does also help when the dentist talks through what they're doing and doesn't get angry with you over your teeth (I heard my old dentist yelling at someone before I went in and it terrified me). It does really suck having dental anxiety and being in the situation where I am now where I've built myself up to go and can't find a dentist it does knock your resolve a little.
My dentist retired and since then I've struggled to go, because the two different dentists I've seen have both screwed up my teeth. I've always been really weird about my teeth. I've never had any fillings or anything, only ever a tiny bit of cosmetic work on the top two at the front, but they screwed it up and there's not really anything that can be done about it now. I always panic that I have loose teeth, and spend a lot of time checking them for any signs of ill-health. If I needed something and had the option to go under for it, I would 100% do it no doubt about it
My old dentist had TVs in the ceiling with a subscription to Hulu so I would watch episodes of the Simpsons. It was great. Since moving I haven't been to the dentist as I'm pretty sure I need a filling and I'm scared. :colondollar:
Reply 4
Nope.
Reply 5
Thank everyone for your replies. Sorry to hear you guys suffer from DA too :frown: :hugs:

I think its the drill I am worried about mostly on Monday when I get my filling. They aren't as noisy now as they used to be but I had the vibrating feeling again my tooth and gum and I always get scared its going to shatter my tooth or something :colondollar:
Reply 6
oh another thing, do you guys find that getting morning appointments is best for your anxiety so you aren't worrying about it all throughout the day? I got a morning appt but I'm scared I'll end up not getting any sleep before it :frown:
Original post by Spock's Socks
oh another thing, do you guys find that getting morning appointments is best for your anxiety so you aren't worrying about it all throughout the day? I got a morning appt but I'm scared I'll end up not getting any sleep before it :frown:

Hey :smile:

I definitely find morning appointments better for my anxiety, there's less time to dwell on it and sometimes I've thought about being tired more than going to the appointment. I actually had a morning appointment today and it definitely helped. Granted I've had to go private to get it, although it isn't going to cost me as much as I thought it would. I've had to book an appointment with the hygienist and I need two fillings done which are going to be spread over two visits (we decided to split them because I am very nervous about it and the dentist didn't want to overwhelm me with having both done at the same time), I've booked to have the one that's actually bothering me done first. Unfortunately that one is mid afternoon so I probably will spend the morning worrying and I am nervous to have it done but I have to think of the pain I'm in now and it's better to get it sorted now before it needs more serious work. The night before I would try and relax (easier said than done:colondollar:) by doing something distracting, I ended up playing final fantasy/watching Versailles followed by a really hot shower to make me sleepy.
Reply 8
My appt is at 9am tomorrow so the nerves are starting to kick in :frown: I'll be getting x rays done (dentist was in a rush during my check up and couldn't do them then) and fillings and/or cleaning. Sounds silly but I'm worried about the x ray. I don't mind the small ones, you know the ones where you just bite down onto plastic or something but I hate those big panoramic x rays, you know the ones where you have to rest your head on something and it kind looks like a machine you use when getting your eyes tested? I know they are quick and painless but I took a panic in one of them years ago and haven't used one since and if any of you have panic attacks, I'm sure you'll know that it can be hard to revisit a place or situation where you had a bad panic attack before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
So I went to the dentist today and I now have perfectly white teeth! :biggrin: I got a scale and polish done and my front white fillings replaced. I was so nervous before the appt. I was crying, constantly running to the toilet, feeling sick etc but I oddly felt calm when I got to the surgery. She asked if I wanted numbing cream before the jab but I didn't want it and I listened to Spongebob on my phone through earphones while she did all the work and I didn't ask her to stop once which was a shock :eek: she said it didn't seem like I was a nervous patient at all :eek: I'm back on Thursday to get a couple of back fillings and some x rays but she told me it'll just be the small x rays to look for cavities, not the big one which is a relief :yep: not dreading my next appt at all now. Its not pleasant going to the dentist but it wasn't bad at all either and now I have perfect teeth for my wedding :biggrin:
I'm not too bad when it comes to the dentist, but the orthodontist was a different story! I used to feel so nervous about the orthodontist that I used to feel nauseous in the waiting room, them poking about in my mouth when tightening my braces was so painful :cry:
So I went to the dentist today and I now have perfectly white teeth! :biggrin: I got a scale and polish done and my front white fillings replaced. I was so nervous before the appt. I was crying, constantly running to the toilet, feeling sick etc but I oddly felt calm when I got to the surgery. She asked if I wanted numbing cream before the jab but I didn't want it and I listened to Spongebob on my phone through earphones while she did all the work and I didn't ask her to stop once which was a shock :eek: she said it didn't seem like I was a nervous patient at all :eek: I'm back on Thursday to get a couple of back fillings and some x rays but she told me it'll just be the small x rays to look for cavities, not the big one which is a relief :yep: not dreading my next appt at all now. Its not pleasant going to the dentist but it wasn't bad at all either and now I have perfect teeth for my wedding :biggrin:

I'm glad it went well :smile: I have a scale and polish booked for next week and then the first filling a few days later. I am nervous about having it done, but then I remember the pain its been causing me the past few days and it makes want to have it done already :colondollar:
Reply 12
Original post by AmyTheSwifty
I'm glad it went well :smile: I have a scale and polish booked for next week and then the first filling a few days later. I am nervous about having it done, but then I remember the pain its been causing me the past few days and it makes want to have it done already :colondollar:

Thanks :hugs: best of luck for your appointment next week, be sure to let us know how you get on! I know its easy for me to say, but you will be fine and the thought of going usually is worse than going. Even though I know what to expect on Thursday when I go back, I'm still nervous :colondollar:
Thanks :hugs: best of luck for your appointment next week, be sure to let us know how you get on! I know its easy for me to say, but you will be fine and the thought of going usually is worse than going. Even though I know what to expect on Thursday when I go back, I'm still nervous :colondollar:

I had the first filling done today and it was mostly fine. I had the hygienist on Tuesday and that was completely fine, it did feel a bit uncomfortable as I'd never had them cleaned before and my teeth still feel a bit sensitive. I went for the filling this afternoon, I was a bit nervous going in. He went straight in for the injection, I didn't realise it went into the back of the mouth and not the gum where the tooth is :colondollar: It felt a bit uncomfortable once it was in but it was over in 10 seconds. Then, of course with it being me I fainted. I'm not scared of needles in the slightest, however with the past few injections I've ended up fainting a few seconds after. It didn't help that it's actually warm today/I hadn't eaten before going in. They brought me round with glucose tablets/cold flannel. I would say if you're a fainter to definitely eat beforehand and take water. Anyway the actual filling itself was fine, surprisingly I preferred it to the hygienist, less noisy/invasive. It was over very quickly, the whole thing felt like minutes. I shut my eyes at the dentist and it makes the world of a difference :redface:. I feel completely fine now apart from the numb mouth. I'm not scared to go back to get the next filling done next week. I feel a little apprehensive in case I faint/ the injection isn't the nicest but I'm not letting it stop me from going back. If I'm going to be honest having my ears syringed was much more uncomfortable than the filling.
Reply 14
Original post by AmyTheSwifty

I had the first filling done today and it was mostly fine. I had the hygienist on Tuesday and that was completely fine, it did feel a bit uncomfortable as I'd never had them cleaned before and my teeth still feel a bit sensitive. I went for the filling this afternoon, I was a bit nervous going in. He went straight in for the injection, I didn't realise it went into the back of the mouth and not the gum where the tooth is :colondollar: It felt a bit uncomfortable once it was in but it was over in 10 seconds. Then, of course with it being me I fainted. I'm not scared of needles in the slightest, however with the past few injections I've ended up fainting a few seconds after. It didn't help that it's actually warm today/I hadn't eaten before going in. They brought me round with glucose tablets/cold flannel. I would say if you're a fainter to definitely eat beforehand and take water. Anyway the actual filling itself was fine, surprisingly I preferred it to the hygienist, less noisy/invasive. It was over very quickly, the whole thing felt like minutes. I shut my eyes at the dentist and it makes the world of a difference :redface:. I feel completely fine now apart from the numb mouth. I'm not scared to go back to get the next filling done next week. I feel a little apprehensive in case I faint/ the injection isn't the nicest but I'm not letting it stop me from going back. If I'm going to be honest having my ears syringed was much more uncomfortable than the filling.

So sorry to hear you fainted :frown: I've heard of that happening a lot at dental offices, especially with nervous patients and like you said, the heat and not eating beforehand wouldn't have helped. Sounds like you got through it all like a trooper though and you should be proud of yourself :yep: :hugs:
So sorry to hear you fainted :frown: I've heard of that happening a lot at dental offices, especially with nervous patients and like you said, the heat and not eating beforehand wouldn't have helped. Sounds like you got through it all like a trooper though and you should be proud of yourself :yep: :hugs:

Thanks :hugs:, it felt awful at the time but a few hours later I can laugh about it now, I've always been a fainter so I know the signs and to tell someone as soon as I feel it coming on. I fainted in front of my mum for the first time when I had the meningitis injection just before starting uni and she said I went down like a baby giraffe trying to walk :colondollar: Next time I'm planning on eating an hour beforehand and wearing very light clothes if it's warm. I've never been able to work out why I react to injections the way I do, I don't let it stop me though as it's for my own good. I still can't believe I managed to go though with it, from being terrified to even make the first appointment to now just casually going in for a filling, I've come such a long way. It has helped having a new dentist as they are all super friendly and chatty in between doing the work :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest