The Student Room Group

3 A-Levels For Medicine Oxbridge??

I have basically chosen to do 3 A Levels: Maths, Chemistry and Biology for Year 12 next year and have been getting a lot of questions on why I have done 3 rather than 4 if I am going to do Medicine and further,hopefully, apply for Oxbridge. I am confused as the uni websites do not state anything explicitly about having to do 4, then why are my teachers so pushy :frown: Is it really ok to do 3 and have a decent chance at getting into a good uni?

Thanks
Original post by XxxVxxX
I have basically chosen to do 3 A Levels: Maths, Chemistry and Biology for Year 12 next year and have been getting a lot of questions on why I have done 3 rather than 4 if I am going to do Medicine and further,hopefully, apply for Oxbridge. I am confused as the uni websites do not state anything explicitly about having to do 4, then why are my teachers so pushy :frown: Is it really ok to do 3 and have a decent chance at getting into a good uni?

Thanks

3 should be fine; keep in mind that the new A Levels are synoptic, meaning you'll need to have knowledge of AS and A2.

I don't know how practical it is to do 4 Linear A Levels, unless you mean 3 A Levels and an AS? Though AS Levels aren't considered anymore so that's pointless.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
3 should be fine; keep in mind that the new A Levels are synoptic, meaning you'll need to have knowledge of AS and A2.

I don't know how practical it is to do 4 Linear A Levels, unless you mean 3 A Levels and an AS? Though AS Levels aren't considered anymore so that's pointless.

Yeah, because AS is removed from my year, I am planning on just 3 linear, 2 year coursed subjects, Personally I see there to be use of doing one till AS and think if you've started a subject, you might as well finish it; however, won't matter too much for us.

Yeah, hopefully 3 should be fine. My teacher was also talking about doing some medicine courses that are available online too? Would you say those would help?
Reply 3
Original post by XxxVxxX
Yeah, because AS is removed from my year, I am planning on just 3 linear, 2 year coursed subjects, Personally I see there to be use of doing one till AS and think if you've started a subject, you might as well finish it; however, won't matter too much for us.

Yeah, hopefully 3 should be fine. My teacher was also talking about doing some medicine courses that are available online too? Would you say those would help?

Three is fine, I don't know of any medical schools that give preference to you having four, and most won't count an extra one.

From people I know who have done paid courses on getting into medicine/UKCAT/interviews, they have all said that it's pointless. If you have a local university that has a medical department they may put on things like mock interviews and UKCAT practice for free (we do this). For year 12, I'd just focus on getting some work experience/volunteering if you don't already have it, and put plenty of work into your A-levels.

Quick Reply

Latest