Why is a woman always judged on her looks?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Doesn't a woman have more worth?

By reducing a woman’s worth down to her appearance, we slyly diminish her role and her value as a contributor to society
Friffinghell
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In short.... The Patriarchy.
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

By reducing a woman’s worth down to her appearance, we slyly diminish her role and her value as a contributor to society
Think you will find it happens to men as well.
KFrostMU
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Human Nature

(Original post by Friffinghell)
In short.... The Patriarchy.
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Men are judged on their looks too.

That's life.
KFrostMU
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I hope this does not turn into what i think its going

(Original post by 999tigger)
FakeNewsEditor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
True and it gets worse as we ..."progress". Dudes in the 50s were less likely to be judged on their looks. But then, so were women - I think.
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by KFrostMU)
I hope this does not turn into what i think its going
Which would be what?
Friffinghell
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by FakeNewsEditor)
True and it gets worse as we ..."progress". Dudes in the 50s were less likely to be judged on their looks. But then, so were women - I think.
I don't think that is necessarily true. If you look at historical workplace manuals showing the uniforms of men and women in corporate or retail; the male uniform is standard, comfortable and suits most seasons whereas female uniform is often impractical. Thus proof that the woman's outfit is not about the job at hand- but how they look.
Friffinghell
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i would argue that men are judged on their looks as well, but when it comes to the workplace covert racism or homophobia is more of a problem for men that bias towards appearance.

(That said, I used to work in recruitment and had a male candidate with excellent qualifications- but absolutely disgusting teeth. Black/brown/missing. He interviewed quite well but obviously interviewers assumed that he might have some personal problems that they wanted to steer clear of.)
Nirvana1989-1994
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Because life is :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:.
loveleest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just the sad fact of life. Wish it wasn't like that.
Jirga
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That's the biggest asset
Newbie_noob
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Both men and women would be judged equally in terms of looks if it weren't for the media and it's effect on society. It seems to have a larger impact on females.
oliive
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That's for sure...
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by UWS)
Men are judged on their looks too.

That's life.

This.

Being judged on one's looks is not something just women go through.
Ladymusiclover
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This reminds me of when I was younger and watching the news, for example, the female newsreader would always be attractive and the male newsreader less so. I didn't understand why that was. Times have changed now. But women are still clearly judged on their appearance. Could be evolutionary.
user382
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well clearly men are too.

But being an average looking man man is not quite the same "crime" as being anything less than a decent looking woman. I think it is as much an obsession with youth as it is feminine beauty. Men are obsessed with youth because effectively that is nature. Women have a much shorter fertility window.

Sucks but that's life.
user382
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Men have had their value to society diminished quite inherently in recent years.

Complaining that men like pretty women doesn't really cut it when women's general standing in society has never been higher.
username3099438
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Women are expected to look as pleasing to the male eye as possible. A guy just has to look not ugly- I mean, I don't really know about that one. You definitely don't see pictures of half naked men everywhere though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads