Math IA HL connected with economics Watch

Jonymielony
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys!

I am looking for an interesting topic for my Math exploration. I would like it to be a quite decent topic as I really want to have a good grade and it would be awesome for me to write about something connected with economics. I think that calculus or modelling of fuction might be suitable topics for me, but I can't really find anything good. Can someone help me or send some inspirations?

Thanks
andrewl123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jonymielony)
Hi guys!

I am looking for an interesting topic for my Math exploration. I would like it to be a quite decent topic as I really want to have a good grade and it would be awesome for me to write about something connected with economics. I think that calculus or modelling of fuction might be suitable topics for me, but I can't really find anything good. Can someone help me or send some inspirations?

Thanks
I studied both higher lever maths and economics and did my maths IA on economics. I used partial differentials and the Lagrangian multiplier to find different ways to algebraically model a utility function, an idea I derived from Consumer demand theory an economic concept.

Doing your maths exploration on economics is difficult. There are topics you can do, but won't be challenging enough e.g. Gini coefficients, or too hard e.g. in my case. All the maths and economics used were not taught in school - I learnt all of it by myself, and it was not easy.

I wouldn't do the exploration on economics unless I were insistent. In which case, some ideas:

- modelling theory of production, including finding an optimum combination of labour capital and land in production

- oligopolic market structures; research Cournot and his research on duopolies.

- econmetrics and statistical models. There are plenty of statistical methods that are advanced.

All the best
Elle02
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I know this is from a while ago but I was wondering if I could maybe see your IA. It sounds really interesting
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (406)
18.61%
The paper was reasonable (1038)
47.57%
Not feeling great about that exam... (485)
22.23%
It was TERRIBLE (253)
11.59%

Watched Threads