The Student Room Group

Straight A student going to a "bad/poor/lower ranked" ex-poly university?

How uncommon is it for a student to go from AAAA at AS level to ending up at a non Russell Group uni that tends to be way down the rankings? I'm not taking non RG as in like Lancaster, Bath, Surrey, etc but like the ex-poly universities like Manchester Met, Leeds Trinity, etc.

In particular I'm thinking Sheffield Hallam (tends to be ranked somewhere in the 70s - and I appreciate that rankings aren't be the be all and end all).

The reason I ask is because, as partly detailed in this thread that I started about a week ago, I'm now considering Hallam as a clearing option if I don't get the AAB needed for York. Non academic factors appeal to me like the fact that I could commute every day, keep my job and therefore not need a maintenance loan, saving £20k of debt by the end of the course. So would it be completely unambitious and a massive waste to go from AAAA on results day last year to going to Sheffield Hallam in September?

Any opinions much appreciated - thanks :smile:
Reply 1
I have AAA and I am going to Solent as the course is exactely what I want... I am also not sure it is good idea...
Original post by joddcfc
How uncommon is it for a student to go from AAAA at AS level to ending up at a non Russell Group uni that tends to be way down the rankings? I'm not taking non RG as in like Lancaster, Bath, Surrey, etc but like the ex-poly universities like Manchester Met, Leeds Trinity, etc.

In particular I'm thinking Sheffield Hallam (tends to be ranked somewhere in the 70s - and I appreciate that rankings aren't be the be all and end all).

The reason I ask is because, as partly detailed in this thread that I started about a week ago, I'm now considering Hallam as a clearing option if I don't get the AAB needed for York. Non academic factors appeal to me like the fact that I could commute every day, keep my job and therefore not need a maintenance loan, saving £20k of debt by the end of the course. So would it be completely unambitious and a massive waste to go from AAAA on results day last year to going to Sheffield Hallam in September?

Hi,

Great to see that you're thinking about your options early - it's good to have a plan just in case. What's most important is that you're happy with the course and lifestyle so definitely make sure to do your research and weigh up what's important to you.

I'd recommend that you register your interest in Clearing at Sheffield Hallam and we'll send you more details of how to apply through Clearing with us closer to the time.

Hannah
Reply 3
Original post by joddcfc

Not uncommon at all, particularly if the course is a good fit and/or personal circumstances (such as wanting a local university) apply as in your situation.

You will find AAA+ students in any university.

Edit: I just looked at one course for example (Aero Engineering) and 30% have equivalent to AAA or better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by joddcfc

I'm a current student at Sheffield Hallam - I went through clearing after not getting the grades to get into University of Sheffield/Newcastle University which were my firm and insurance choices. At first, I had the same worries as you, because I'd previously been told that if I didn't go to a Russell Group university I was 'selling myself short' etc. As I didn't get the grades for those universities, I felt like I hadn't achieved 'enough'. Unfortunately, this is the attitude that my school had, and I don't think it's particularly fair!

I think you're right to think about the alternative benefits of Sheffield Hallam, rather than just the possible academic differences. To start with, Sheffield Hallam has an amazing employability rate, a great careers and employability centre which can help you get great placements, part time jobs, help with interviews and CVs, etc., lots of academic and personal support, a great Students' Union and more. Having looked at your other thread, this seems like it would be a really positive thing for you, as you mentioned a career in investment management being interesting to you. If you find the course here (including the placement year) really interesting, I don't see a reason why it wouldn't be a great place for you to come!

I would definitely not say that coming to Hallam would be "unambitious" - as long as you work ambitiously here by making the most of reading and further reading that's given to you, and accessing support from lecturers and the faculty helpdesk in order to get the most out of your studies and your placement year!

There are so many other things that you gain from university, including fun experiences, new practical skills, new interests and hobbies if you join societies or sports clubs, new friends, and all sorts of opportunities if you look out for them, and that's true for wherever you go to in the end.

I hope this helps! Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hi,

Great to see that you're thinking about your options early - it's good to have a plan just in case. What's most important is that you're happy with the course and lifestyle so definitely make sure to do your research and weigh up what's important to you.

I'd recommend that you register your interest in Clearing at Sheffield Hallam and we'll send you more details of how to apply through Clearing with us closer to the time.

Hannah

Thanks a lot Hannah - I've just registered now :smile:

Original post by Doonesbury
Not uncommon at all, particularly if the course is a good fit and/or personal circumstances (such as wanting a local university) apply as in your situation.

You will find AAA+ students in any university.

Edit: I just looked at one course for example (Aero Engineering) and 30% have equivalent to AAA or better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply - how did you get the data?

Original post by SHUGURU
I'm a current student at Sheffield Hallam - I went through clearing after not getting the grades to get into University of Sheffield/Newcastle University which were my firm and insurance choices. At first, I had the same worries as you, because I'd previously been told that if I didn't go to a Russell Group university I was 'selling myself short' etc. As I didn't get the grades for those universities, I felt like I hadn't achieved 'enough'. Unfortunately, this is the attitude that my school had, and I don't think it's particularly fair!

I think you're right to think about the alternative benefits of Sheffield Hallam, rather than just the possible academic differences. To start with, Sheffield Hallam has an amazing employability rate, a great careers and employability centre which can help you get great placements, part time jobs, help with interviews and CVs, etc., lots of academic and personal support, a great Students' Union and more. Having looked at your other thread, this seems like it would be a really positive thing for you, as you mentioned a career in investment management being interesting to you. If you find the course here (including the placement year) really interesting, I don't see a reason why it wouldn't be a great place for you to come!

I would definitely not say that coming to Hallam would be "unambitious" - as long as you work ambitiously here by making the most of reading and further reading that's given to you, and accessing support from lecturers and the faculty helpdesk in order to get the most out of your studies and your placement year!

There are so many other things that you gain from university, including fun experiences, new practical skills, new interests and hobbies if you join societies or sports clubs, new friends, and all sorts of opportunities if you look out for them, and that's true for wherever you go to in the end.

I hope this helps! Good luck :smile:

Thanks for the reply :smile: yeah my school definitely have a very similar attitude and I just think they are interested in bumping up their "below average for a school as good as ours" percentage who go to RG unis. Hallam really does sound like a fun place :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by joddcfc
Thanks for the reply - how did you get the data?

Unistats > Entry Information > UCAS Tariff Scores

e.g. http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/entry/10005790FT-11783/ReturnTo/Search
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Doonesbury
Unistats > Entry Information > UCAS Tariff Scores

e.g. http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/entry/10005790FT-11783/ReturnTo/Search

Ah okay - cheers!
Well I was a straight A/A* student at school and ended up at an ex-poly doing a vocational course. It's not exactly common but not unheard of.
Original post by joddcfc
Thanks a lot Hannah - I've just registered now

Brilliant! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending