Can someone help me with a refraction WAVE question PLEASE (PHYSICS) Watch

MrToodles4
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Its just this very last part on question 6 d that is bothering me. Here's a link to the question:

http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/.../Refracton.pdf

We worked out the critical angle for the boundary between the core and cladding which was 80.4 degrees. But in this next bit of the question is says:

"Ray B enters the end of the fibre and refracts along the core-cladding boundary. Calculate the angle of incidence, of this ray, at the point of the entry to the fibre."

In the markscheme they did 180 - 90 - 80.4 which = 9.6 degrees for the angle of refraction. And then use snell's law n1sin=n2sin (and i understand this bit) but i just don't understand why they did 180 - 90 -80.4. I tried drawing a triangle but i don't know where this angle of 80.4 degrees goes because its a critical angle from the previous part?? Any help is much appreciated thank you.

MS here: http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...acton%20MS.pdf
univ4464
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You may be getting confused with what the angle of refraction is - as the angle between the normal and the refracted ray. I attached a diagram. I assume the 180 - 90 - 80.4 is just the angles in a triangle - the right angle - the known angleName:  IMG_20170503_183323.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  271.0 KB
MrToodles4
Rep:
?
(Original post by alfredholmes)
You may be getting confused with what the angle of refraction is - as the angle between the normal and the refracted ray. I attached a diagram. I assume the 180 - 90 - 80.4 is just the angles in a triangle - the right angle - the known angleName:  IMG_20170503_183323.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  271.0 KB
Thats exactly what my diagram looks like. Thanks a bunch i guess the bit thats confusing me was from the previous bit on "showing the critical angle at the boundary between the core and the cladding is 80.4." I guess its just to the vertical right? Thank youuuu
univ4464
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MrToodles4)
Thats exactly what my diagram looks like. Thanks a bunch i guess the bit thats confusing me was from the previous bit on "showing the critical angle at the boundary between the core and the cladding is 80.4." I guess its just to the vertical right? Thank youuuu
I think there are two ways to interpret that sentence, as in the angle is between the boundary and the core or the critical angle (which is the angle between the ray and the vertical) at the point where the material changes. The latter is the correct interpretation.
MrToodles4
Rep:
?
(Original post by alfredholmes)
I think there are two ways to interpret that sentence, as in the angle is between the boundary and the core or the critical angle (which is the angle between the ray and the vertical) at the point where the material changes. The latter is the correct interpretation.
I kinda do see it. Thanks a bunch bro. The calculations are fine it was just the picturing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?