how far is a belief in life after death is necessary for religious believers. Watch

Daniellelb3467
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Please help! Trying to gather up information for my Relgious studies A level exam as unfortunately we haven't been taught it
sulaimanali
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

I'm a Year 12 AS Student. Although I'm not taking A-Level R.S, at GCSE (last year) I got an A* in R.S.

I can help you with this question from prior knowledge...

With this question it's important to break it down. "How far" suggests there is a certain extent and it is your job to show both sides and then come up with a conclusion.

"Belief in life after death" - talk about beliefs of different religions here.

"Neccessary" - is it really (again your job to show this, do religions talk about life after death being neccessary?).

"Religious believers" - someone who just believes in the religion or does it include those who practise it daily?
sulaimanali
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For example..

I'll talk about Islam since I'm a Muslim.

Christianity and Islam are very similar in these beliefs of life after death..there will be Heaven and Hell.

In Islam, Heaven is called Jannah (Paradise) and Hell is called Jahannum.

Life after death is essential for Muslims to believe as we believe Allah has put us in this world as a test to prepare for the Akhirah (afterlife).

Stick in a quote after that point and analyse it, talk about things like Barzakh and the importance of it.
sulaimanali
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You could say that it is neccessary because it gives people hope that if they do not have a good life now they will be rewarded for it (Islam says this e.g. the poor will enter Jannah way before the rich will).

You could say it forces people to try and do many deeds.

The point of a religion is that you follow it for a reason - there must be a reason to it and so the afterlife will be the reason.
Daniellelb3467
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Wow thankyou so much! This has really helped me !
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
'Necessary' means is it a feature that could be removed from a given religion whilst leaving that religion essentially the same. This will largely depend on their vision of salvation. All religion is soteriological (concerned with salvation) but how they view this is different, eg. some Buddhist schools think true salvation is the extinction of rebirth. Some think liberation comes in life, not in death. Some Hindu Vedantins think that liberation occurs in life etc. That is the angle I'd take.

Bear in mind that afterlife might be necessary to one religion but not to the next one. It depends on their soteriological focus.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (44)
12.32%
Yes - a food allergy (39)
10.92%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
3.08%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.52%
No (254)
71.15%

Watched Threads